Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Desirability? 725 or Landlord ? Older the better?

AC808

Just taking a poll...Which do you think is more desirable a mid-60s Landlord or a slightly older 725? Is one more rare then another? Which would you rather have? Just like to hear some opinions thanks jay

MY TWO CENTS: I think a lot of it has to do with what you plan to do with the tractor (showpiece or work, maybe both?) and personal preference. My favorites are the from the Wonderboy 700 (1959) to the round hooded Landlords(1967). These are all getting harder to find but you dont seem to see as many 700 thru 725 Simplicity's- and the Landlords are starting to sell for large dollars.....

It be tough pickin between my '61 725 and '63-'64 landlord cuz the landlord has hydro lift. If I had too bet I'd wind up with the 725. No real reason, they are almost the same machine workwise, IMO neither is big enough for a loader but can handle any other yard work just fine. MPH

It took me a while to figure out which tractor i like, when i did it was the 725 that i like. It can do what i need it to do and i like the way it looks.

Why not have both?8) The Landlord will probably give you a little more versatility,with attachments and such,but I don't see as many Broadmoors as I do LandLords.

Well I Have A B-10& B112 and 2RBT's I'm looking to get a B-1 or 700-725 just so I have one of each style... I like the looks of 700-725's.... I think they are a little more rare around here then the rounded hood landlords.... I have had 4 rounded hood this year alone.. (101 [parts] 64 landlord [sold to mowerman] 2010 [sold to mowerman] and a B-10 )....

As to rarity the B-1/700 are getting hard to find, there certianly more of the round hooded models to to choose from and are not as rare as the B-1/700 models. As to desirablity that comes down more to personal taste IMO since both the early and laters models will do just about the amount of work. I have had at least one of each (in one form or another) IMO the early tin has a grace, these tractors definitly aspired to be like their larger brethren instead of vice versa that we seem to have today. Another determining factor is affordability and availibilty. What can you afford and is it availible inexspensively,is it local or do you have to drive cross country to get it? I guess I could go on but I may just get off topic![:0]:D

The 725 and B-1 have hoods that are hinged. I hate having to put the hood of my later tractor on the ground when working on something. I've never seen a B-1 in person, but I've seen the later tractors. If you have the opportunity to buy a B-1, I'd go for it. The Landlords are nice, too, though.

I like my 725 the best. I have a Broadmoor 707 and a 3212H but neither of them have the old world look that really grabs my attention. I am considering offering out for trade the 3212H towards another 725 or 60's era landlord or B-1 equivalent. People might think I'm crazy for preferring manual shifting to hydro but I guess its a nostalgia thing with me.

I too like the manual shifting and the old round hood styling. But I like "more power" Tim Allen kinda thing. For me its the B 12. The right color yellow, round hood, and bigger horsies. :D:D

I don't think the difference of 1 horsepower makes much difference, but you have to admit the 60's Landlords had a great look!

When i first got my Lanlord 101 I thought it was so ugly it was quiet. Now nearly compleated restoration it is so 60s and I love it. I guess thats cause in a child of the 60s.

Thats a tough one for me as I like them both real well... Now if you was asking RBT or FDT well I would have to say my choice would be FDT... No really I like anything of the models of AC/Simplicity and also Wheel Horse...Yes I like Red too...:D

I love my 61 Wards, and we use it a lot. It earns its keep. My favorite tractors are the two late 70s AC 712S and 716H. For use I just like the size and feel of the larger RBT machines. But still the 61 Wards was my first and I'll never part with it. It will be getting the sickle bar hooked up soon, and it is the one that pushes the snow plow. I mow and tow trailers with the 716H. The 712S has never been used yet. I hope to fire it up soon and then plan to use it as my main lawn mower. All Simplicities and ACs are very scarce in this area. I have most of the parts to put together a fourth tractor, but I won't say what it is till I start the rebuild.

Why won't you say Rod, gotta get it together first and see what model it come out looking like? or has the most parts of?? MPH

MPH, I just wasn't going to show partiality. It is a RBT. I don't have a Dash and hood. Guess how many different hoods will fit that chassis? Whether it is a Simplicity, or an AC, and exactly which model number is determined by the hood and dashboard. Most other parts are the same. My AC 712S has parts from eight different tractors, but the AC 71X hoods are distinct to that series.

For me, it's all looks. The 700/725's have it. The way their round grills flows into the round frame-Simplicity perfection. The round hood LL's, with their beautifully executed grills, especially blackside 62/63 Landlord's. Deco round does it. It's a win win. Gett'em both.