Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Differential

maxtorman1234

I've read about adjusting the differentials, but i cannon find the setscrews. Are the bolts near the centre? THanks

Graham, I think the set screws that are being referred to are on the older B series tractors that don't have a differential like you have pictured.I belive the modification on the one as pictured involed reversing gears inside?

THanks alot Maynard! That helps alot. The limited slip really dosent seem to work on any of my tractors except the 416. Is there any way to tell the new stlye early model from the new style late by looking at the outside? Thanks

The part that sticks through the center of the right wheel is at least an inch longer on the newer limited slip diffs, but doesn't have the two screws in it.

If there is an adjustment, the screws are located in the center hub of the right rear wheel and are adjustable on the tractor with the wheel mounted. The two screws are located in the wheel flange, not the differential. In the first picture that you posted, the screws would be in the wheel flange on the other side of the differential. This part cannot be seen in that photo.

See if this helps...... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=10565&SearchTerms=differential,cap,screw I know I've posted a lot more but this is what showed up on a quick search.

Graham The Differential you posted a picture of is not adjustable. The AC 300 & 400 series tractors have that Differential. The traction control is built into it (the one on the right with the springs posted above). The adjustable hub (this is the wheel hub not the Differential) which is the top diagram I posted is found in addition to the Differential (the one on the left posted above) on the B modles and landloards. You adjust the traction control on them by the Adj. bolt (red)on the hub which there are 2, set at an angle to the axle. It applies presure on the nylon plug and nylon bushing (blue)

Maynard, What is the effect if you have the RH hub with the nylon plugs and set screws and a new style differential with the springs. I'm almost certain that the differential in my B210 (which was completely replaced by ordering individual parts back in the late 70's) has the springs.

You could have the hub locked tight and the limited slip differential would cancel it out. it would act the same as a solid hub. With the hub loose it would just slip easier as with a locked differential I would say it would be no advantage to have both.