Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steering system 4040

ikipp

I'm just a backyard mechanic. (changing oil and spark plugs) I just got a 4040 (finally=a 30 year dream of mine). The steering seems loose. Has anyone fixed their steering. How complicated a job is it? Are parts available? Is their an article in the forums that talks about this. Is a backyard mechanic (me) getting in over my head.

hi - there is alot of prev. discussions about the topic - search power steering or powermax steering - something like that - several members have converted to a power steering setup - also i think the steering box is the same as a chevy vega if i remember correctly - try searching that - good luck

Have you determined where the looseness is coming from? If the front axle is loose, you can rebuild or replace the 2 support bushings. Check the steering gear mounting bolts for any looseness. The tie rod ends seldom wear out but check to be sure.

Hi Kip, I agree with both, It is a Vega steering box & you need to find where it's loose. The earlier front spindles were notorious for having the keyways wear. There are a few options available; there's a post in the want ads for a new one (Don't know if it's gone yet), there's a member here that rebuilds them (to the point of heat treating too!) and (of course) used. If you get used, You need to be sure they match your old one(S). It took a few interations for them to improve. The front bushings are weird in that they made one a precision bushing w/zirk & the other is just kinda there. Just like a car, there's lot's of places for play & they all add up! Have you downloaded a manual yet? That's a MUST DO!! Keep us posted!!! JP

Hi Guys. I've ordered that spindle that was advertised and am waiting for it to arrive. The front axle has some play in it. At the end of the axle there is about half a inch of play. Tomorrow I will try to locate some new bushings. What changes did simplicity make to the axle in the newer models? Also, the steering gearbox does not engage when I start turning the steering wheel. Is this normal, or is there suppose to be a little play in the steering wheel. I'll check to see if the steering gearbox is mounted tight. Want to thank you guys for the help.

No worries! The steering box is adjustable (The manual, GET the manual...). That might take a lot of the play out. They figured the steering column might need some grease after a while (LOL), on the 'newest' ones there's a zirk on the column too. I've only seen this on the very late 9020's & 720's. I had one where only one bolt was holding the steering box in! JP

Kip, if you are talking about play in the front axle where it pivots, check closely where the axle pivots at the front frame extension. The outer bushing which is welded in, was wore so bad on my AC 620 that I had to ream it out some and weld a bearing race in. That gave me a good wearing surface. I was able to replace the reach bushing (as it is called) that rides inside it. I was also able to replace the 2 axle bushings and the axle spacer on the main axle. These parts were available from simplicity. The ball joint at the front end of my drag link was wore so bad, that it was ready to fall out. Replacing the above items and adjusting the set screw on the steering gear box, put my steering system back to new condition. I can give you info on the bearing race I used, if your problem is in the front pivot point. Good luck, Jim.......

There are two bolts that hold the steering gear box tight. These have a tendency of loosening up (I bought one where one bolt had worked itself all the way loose and was lying in the pan). You do have to remove the pan (underside tunnel cover) to access the bolts. That is also a good time to do some good cleaning of the tunnel area.

quote:
Originally posted by gretsch
There are two bolts that hold the steering gear box tight. These have a tendency of loosening up (I bought one where one bolt had worked itself all the way loose and was lying in the pan). You do have to remove the pan (underside tunnel cover) to access the bolts. That is also a good time to do some good cleaning of the tunnel area.
Absolutely! That is the first place I'd look cuz it is the easiest fix. I've had a loose steering box happen on two of my powermax tractors. Deb lost the bolt that ties the steering wheel to the shaft once while mowing, but never had to fix any other part of the steering.

Some time ago a member posted that he was using stud and bearing grade loctite to fix the slop where the steering arms sit on the spindles. I haven't gotten around to doing my 720 yet but it sounds like a great idea. I also have to do the axle pivot bushings as my axle almost 1" of front-back play at the spindle, so the tractor will almost make a U turn it it hits a bump.

Here she is. 4040. I'm going to name her either Bertha or Smead. You guys are going to be partially responsible for getting her up to tip top shape. Thanks again. Kip

Kip Rename your picture file with out the spaces and symbols. Read the directions for uploading pictures. This is the file name you uploaded misc 054 (Small).jpg Spaces and symbols Don't work This is what it should look like misc054Small.jpg This is what the site program see's with the spaces and symbols in the file name /club2/attach/ikipp/misc%20054%20%20Small%20.jpg it replaces the spaces and symbols with %20 which creates a img URL that don't exist therefore it can't show the picture. This is what it needs to see /club2/attach/ikipp/misc054Small.jpg

Here is the picture= I hope. Today I changed oil filter and oil. (Used Synthetic). Greased zerks. Couldn't grease 2 zerks on snow blower. One on the drive shaft(I'd have to disconnect the blower to get to it, and one I couldn't find by the pulley shaft (where the drive shaft for the blower hooks up=I think its not there, even though the snow blower manual says its there.) I searched high and low for the transmission twist valve to check the atf level=couldn't find it. Is it under the metal panel where the shifting pattern decal is? Checked steering box bolts to frame=they are tight. Checked snow blower chain=need grease badly. Used marine grease on it. I need to take out a chain link to tighten the chain, because the blower is moved back all the way=no more adjustment can be done. Need to find short in the lighting circuit. All in all it was a cold and exciting day. Looking forward to gettting some more time to play with the 4040.

Your transmission twist valve is on the back of the tractor, I'm gonna say about a third of the way up on the right side. Its a butterfly mounted in a street elbow. The fill plug is on top the tranny, behind the seat to the left of center. If you don't know the maintence record of the tractor be a good idea to put a new filter on and change the fluid in the tranny. Nice looker. MPH

Kip Before you take a link out of the blower chain check the auger bearing real good if it is warn it will give the indication the chain has streached. (been there done that)