Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ignition Switch Replacements - Be VERY careful!

Gary

I purchased an Ignition Switch on E-Bay. It had a correctly corresponding Simplicity P/N, to my A/C 710 tractor.;) I went to the local hardware to purchase some new connectors for my new switch. The owner also sells and services Dixon mowers. He asked if I was sure that I got the correct switch. He said that the most important thing is that all the switch positions on the new switch, are identical to the old switch. Otherwise, a component (coil, starter, etc.), could be ruined if not connected properly to the switch!:( Fortunately, I have the original owners manual for the 710. The wiring diagram in the back of the manual, matches the diagram of the switch positions of the switch I purchased on E-Bay!:D If anyone out there sees any reason for me to still be concerned about my new purchase, let me know A.S.A.P. By the way, the switch on E-Bay, cost me $13.98, shipping included. Simplicity wants about $50.00 for the same switch.

Garry If the item you bought is an authentic Simp part with the PN# on it I would not worry. Just to be sure, since you said you had the manual I would get out your multimeter and just test the contacts to make sure the switch is what it should be. I destroyed my magneto once by accidentally feeding 12v+ to the points ground so I understand your concern. take care john

I too felt dealer was ripping me off, I now basically think there are TWO switches (magneto & points) and bought one of each at a flea market for $7.00 each but never had a switch go bad since I bought the dealer one.

One thing that can makes an ignition switch go bad is having something heavy on the key ring, this very true in the new cars today with the computer Chips in the key.

Got my new switch today. Compared it to the old switch, and it was an exact match!:D I installed the switch after supper, and, it works like a charm!;) There are several switches in the market, that look like they could be the one you need. Be very careful, as all that look similar, may not be the correct one.

Hi, One thing you might not be aware of the switches for magneto engines have fine threads on the mounting nuts and the battery engines have coarser threads, at least the ones made by Indak and used by Simplicity. The pin outs are still critical as there several configurations of each and they are NOT interchangeable. Look carefully at the back of the switch and the terminals MUST compare EXACTLY, not just be similar. Al Eden

Al, Thanks for the "heads up", on the thread issue. I didn't realize that there was a difference. I got the magnifying (reading) glasses out and compared the two switches on the electrical side. They were an exact match.:)