Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

  • Announcements

    • Kent

      Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

      If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

      Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

      See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
PhanDad

Well, y'all tried to tell me...

Recommended Posts

PhanDad
that using a piece of wood as a belt guide wasn't a good idea. If you remember my post of about a month ago about pulley size vs engine speed, I installed some "new" guides for my GTHL with old snow thrower. They looked like this:

Finally got some snow the other day, so I tried it out. Belt stayed on fine. Was on my second driveway when I smelled a burning odor. Looked at the belt, but it was on all the pulleys. I had just started the fourth driveway when I smelled an even stronger burning odor. The the belt blew into a hundred pieces. Never "exploded" a belt like that before, they always jummped off a pulley and got caught in the idler guides and chewed themselves up some. Turns out the belt was rubbing on the wood - too long of a guide surface. With the vibrations of the belt, it was probably rubbing at least half the time. The wood guide was burned:

So I revised the guides to use all metal fingers:

Now all I need is some more snow to test this latest setup. I've also ordered a 6" diameter pulley to mount on the snowthrower shaft. This is 1/2" smaller than the one I'm currently using and I'm hoping the increased belt wrap will help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HubbardRA
You guys may remember my recent post about putting the Sears snow blower on the AC716H. Well the belt wouldn't release, so I fashioned some guides similar to the ones pictured above from 1/4 inch rod. Now the belt disengages perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HubbardRA
Dan, If we got a snow, I would try it out. I need to move the blower forward to tighten the long belt, and get the hood mounted. It may plug up the chute because of the rust in that area, since I haven't painted it. I hope I can get a few minutes this evening to get the long belt tight. I still have to weld runners onto the brackets. Just been to cold to get very many things done outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UCD
Not hard to make. The newer blowers with the large pulley don't use them the hole is still in blower frame. there is just enough clearence between pulley and body to get belt on. Some where I have a couple of them. They are just heavy guage wire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×