Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

VB Walker

pbrenner70

I just picked up a VB Walker today. (at least, from the pictures thats what it looks like) Does anyone else have one? The control rods seem to be all mixed up and the pictures from the site dont show them well. I found the pdf files from simplicitytechpubs but it doesnt show them any better. I need pics showing where the middle and left hand side rods connect to for the drive belt tensioner. Thanks, Paul

Hey Paul, I have a VB, most attatchments, and full set of manuals. What is attached to the machine ? as that might make a difference with what goes where. I'll have a look in the shed and snap a photo tonight.

Paul check out this web site. [url]www.simplicityva.com[/url]Lots of information on Simplicity two wheel walking tractors. Karl [img]http://www.simplicityva.com/sim-VB.jpg[/img]

Its actually a VC model I found out. Looks close to a VB. Funny thing is it says 10 h.p. on the tank, when they only made a 7 h.p. I cant find the briggs model, type, and code yet to enter it into the B&S website to find out stuff about the motor. It came with many attachments but the one I will use the most is the tiller. Everything seems to be there but the thing that confuses me is the far left hand rod. It seems to connect to a lever that goes nowhere. In every picture it shows the rod just connecting to the outside lever but that lever doesnt actuate anything and it doesn't move back or forth unless its frozen up. The middle rod seems to be correct in connecting to spring that tensions the drive belt idler pulley. What does that mysterious far left rod do? I also need to know what actually turns the engine off. Was it a metal tang on the spark plug or a switch grounding the points? Thanks, Paul

Hey arnoldir, do you have any spare parts? im looking for the spring holder and spring for the shifter. Do you happen to know what size the muffler diameter and thread pitch is? Im looking for a quiet flow muffler for it. Thanks again, Paul

Hello, I have a three walkers, one V, on VB, and a Wards Plow Trac. All of mine have the B&S Model 14 engine. They all shut off with a push button on the points cover. I will try to send you pictures of mine, maybe they will help you.

Paul, I have 2 model v's and the VB, and only the VB has the spring on the shifter. I've converted the V that I use regularly to a kohler 8 horse magnum, so I've not really tinkered with the old briggs model 14. Sorry I don't have a photo to post this morning, as wifey had some honey doo matters for me.

Paul here is a picture of the Simplicity VC two walking tractor. The Model number for the engine is on the back of the engine[cooling fins]on a square metal tag. Karl [img]http://www.simplicityva.com/sim-VC.jpg[/img]

The lever on the left is to control the implements(snow blower mower and so forth) The middle one goes to the transmission for shifting.The most problems I had with mine was the mag went bad and had to put in a new one(I have 4 of them) They came with the model 14.Does it have a lever that goes down to the axel? If so that is for the 2 speed axel and that lever turns rather than pulls.The tillers work great.It is my favorit for the garden but make sure you put the foot down on the tiller or you will run after it.Bob

The two wheel walking tractors, Simplicity Models VB,VC,W had a Briggs & Stratton model 19,19D 7 hp engines. Simplicity two wheel walking tractor Model VA,had a Briggs & Stratton model 14 5 hp. Check this link from my web site. Simplicity Models. [url]http://www.simplicityva.com/simpmodel-3.html[/url] Karl [url]http://www.simplicityva.com[/url]

My two cents on the model V vs the later models. My V and Wards Plow Trac have a solid axle and ratchet clutches on each wheel. They are my preferred choice for work that involve moving earth, as they will tend to run in a straight line under load even when using a blade or rake that is set at an angle. The later VA, VB, VC, and W use a split axle and differential that allow the unit to pivot about it's center without tearing up the grass, but they wander like a drunken sailor. Something to think about if your hunting for a walker that you plan on putting to work.

Thank you very much for the pictures and explaination. Now knowing the far left lever does nothing but ride there until you use the blower is helpful. It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what it did. I tore the right hand side differential apart yesterday to find out why it didn't work in low speed and I found out the whole thing is bad. The sliding gear set has teeth that are all torn up and the side gears are missing. Its amazing that the tractor still runs in high gear though. Do you know if these parts are still available? Do you happen to have or know someone that does have a coulter for the plow? The plow I have is missing it. Thanks so much for everyones help, Paul

I'd guess some of the components in the differential may be shared with the W and early 4 wheel tractors, but the High-Low system is unique to the late walkers. I'll dig out the manuals on mine and see if I can put up an exploded diagram and parts list for the "duomatic" and you can check it against whatever lists or diagrams the Simp Tech Pubs site has for the early 700 series tractors which use the same transaxle as the model W walker. The rarity of the duomatic axle (and potential weakness) is one reason I'm keeping my VB as a "show only", and using the repowered V for the real work. In fact I'd buy any VA, VB, VC I can find just for spare parts.