Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

FInished work on 310

maxtorman1234

Since I Like the 300/400 series more than the others, and since I have the 310 that only needs to be converted to points, I decided that I have very small use for the 712H, that I could take the engine right out and put it directly into my 310. I Had the engine out of the 712 and the realized it wasnt sitting level in the 310. I forgot about the different oil drain plug. The only things I could do then, were to switch the pans and get a gasket, or drill a hole for the other plug. I decided it would be better to drill the hole, so Now i can put any engine in without worrying about the plug. After alot of fooling around to get everything back together, It was ready to try. When I tried it, it wouldnt start, I finally found it was'nt getting spark, Same problem as before with the pointless engine. I was then thinking that the other engine is ok. Bypassed the ignition switch, and it worked!:D I think the belt is loose on the rear end, since it slips. The clutch dosent work properly, sometimes it wont disengage and the gears grind while putting it into gear. Right now, the tractor goes slow. It must be the way the variable is set, since I can no longer adjust it.

Looked at the belt, got it tightened, and this thing is unstoppable. I was just fooling around trying to drive through 1 1/2 foot drifts with the 416 today, and then I got the 310 out. It just drove right through them barely even slippingB)I can go through anything with this tractor, Pulled it'self through many other places the 416 wouldnt go. Anyhow, Im very surprised. How does It look?

Only difference is the 12Hp engine. All I have to do is pull the engine and flywheel from my 416 because it has the notch for the trigger module on it, put the flywheel back on the 310 and remove the 12. Then It should run again