Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Got the Boss to Help

oldone

Still not sure why you cant load that pic John. I left your little disk there so maybe another moderator can tell you whats wrong with it.

What a beautiful little girl. She'll remember helping you the rest of her life. My daughters always wanted to work with me (until they were teenagers). They had there own names for tools. The "monster" were my wire strippers. They still call them that to this day. Some people sell females short. They learn quick and retain. Then later in life they become the bane of husbands' and tradesmen's machismo.

When we were actively into tractor pulling my daughter never wanted to drive. She did want to help with the tractor, and really enjoyed telling everyone that she was a member of the pit crew. When we went to a pull where only one crew member was allowed to go into the staging area with the driver, guess who that crew member was. Both Daddy and her older brother were drivers, so she considered herself the Crew Chief on both tractors. She is 22 now and still tells people about being Crew Chief on the pulling tractors.

It's hard to get her to do anything, but she does help out a little. She took all the bolts out of the case when we first started working on it (after they were loose)Shes been helping me prime some of the parts, but a lot of runs. Beth gets to sand them! Some day when its all done she will be telling all her friends that she put it all together with some of her Dads help. Next is the engine!

So that's how you all get the small parts back into the hidden holes! Maybe I can recruit one of the neighbors' kids... /r David Denver

Those of you with kids at home get them involved however you can. My 16 year old daughter called me last week proud as punch cuz she chaged her own oil in her car. E-mailed her a few tips like wiping oil on the filter seal to help it slip when tightening, she replied she remembered to do that cuz I told her about it last summer when we changed the oil on my van together. She also had to buy a 'funny looking wrench thingy' to remove her filter..Never know what will stay with a kid that we long forget we ever told them.. MPH

Enjoy every minute with her John,...the time goes so fast.;) All my daughters are married and have a home of thier own now, but I've got grandsons.:D:D

Yes the children love to help out when working on things...I let my 7 year old son and 5 year old daughter take appart a parts tractor (Broadmoor 707) last summer...They talk about that almost every day...and ask when I will get another one to take apart..I am going to have them help put my 717 back together this spring...

My daughter used to help me. Among other things we put a clutch in her Toyota van once. She turned out to be an EE. Early training helps.