Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler unregulated Charging Systems

ambler

The 712S I just got has the 70 Amp AC light circuit. I believe this is 1.5 or 3 Amp DC unregulated DC charging system. Three wires from engine. One wire with 5 amp fuse is DC charging system. What do I need to convert this to 15 amp system? Stator and flywheel, regulator rectifier? Does K321 and K301 flywheels interchange? This would expand the pool of donor engines.

70 amp light circuit? You mean 70 watt? The 1.25 & 3 amp systems should only have 1 wire (2 if it has the light stator) coming from the engine (black & yellow?). I think the 15 & 25 amp systems have 2 wires coming from the engine, but those systems use a rectifier/regulator. I believe the 30 amp systems have 4 wires and also a rectifier/regulator. I don't know of a 3 wire system, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Perhaps a 15 amp system with an optional light stator? Even the 1.25 & 3 amp systems put out AC current. They have a rectifier inline with the wire to the battery (key switch) which converts the AC to DC. If you actually have a 1.25 or 3 amp system, you will need to replace the stator, install a rectifier/regulaor, possibly a different key switch, and modify the wiring. Don't forget to remove the inline rectifier. I think the K321 flywheel will interchange with the K301, but I'm not positive.

I also have an AC712S about a 78 model. I repowered changing from the K301 to a K341. I had to switch the flywheels because the 341 did not have a stator. It ran off a G/S. I also have a K321. All three flywheels are interchangeable. Sorry, all I know about the charging system is what is in the owners manual. The K341 had a lot more stator in it than the K301. If I had known enough about it I would have switched the K321 and K341 flywheels to ge more electric power, but I did do not know enough to change the stators. Dan

All the 10,1214&16hp flywheels are interchangable. All you need is the stator, regulator and possibly flywheel.

Sorry 70 watt. The wire is yellow. The bulbs are 1156 in the headlights (27W each). I'm looking for a trash engine to upgrade electric system. Other option is to go dc and drain the battery.

Dutch, First attempt with the lights was quite weak, I'm used to the 7100 head lights. But upon further investigation flickering lights was due to lose connection. I still have to go through the whole circuit and optimize and test at night. Bill at Sandy Lake said that they converted many of these systems to dc light operation. So they are not dependent on engine speed or even engine being on. Guess I'm spoiled, running dc, Lamps would draw 4.5 amp but should be good for several hours burn with out running the battery too far down.

If the alternator is charging the battery, I would just convert the lights to DC. I have the same setup and have never had a problem. If you want to add an electric lift or something......... that's a different story.

Thanks Dutch, I believe a DC conversion with a 51R battery is the most expedient fix. Engine is easy starting and strong. How do you get those light bulbs out, just twist and pull. I didn't want to force them, use the gorilla approach yet. one light is out the other had a lose wire.

The bulbs should have a bayonet base. Push in slightly, twist, pull out. They may be corroded in the sockets, so a squirt of penetrating oil first may be a good idea.

Ambler, Saw this Kohler 12 hp on eBay and thought of you. Looks like the pan would bolt right in to your 712S. Parts off your old motor would make it just like yours is now. The price looks good to. Dan [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=2374602357[/url]