Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
mbrook

More BGB Questions

mbrook
Well this weekend I took on the BGB problem that I have but I am now stuck. What I need to do is replace or repair the side shaft in my 3212V. Here is how far I got. I remove the pulleys from the shaft and disconnect everything to the rear end and removed the "Drivers side" plate and the 3 bolt on the other side. I rolled the rearend away from the tractor and drained the BGB. I then removed the back plate off the BGB so I could get inside it. At this point all I should have to do is take the key out of the shaft and slide the shaft out. Right? But the key is stuck in the shaft and won't budge. I tried a liitle heat and some PB Blaster. I then put a par of vise grips on the key and if I wanted to I could drag the tractor around the garage. How do I get this stubborn key out? BTW this is the first BGB I have encountered.

dhardin
They can be a bear to get started. The right punch is how i got mine startd to move,not to big and not to small for the key size. Once it moves up out of the slot i get my vice grips and slowly pull it out. Continuing to pound it out you will have a chance of damaging the key way, get it about 1/3 out and it should be possable to pull it the rest of the way. I dont recomend heat at all.

RonT
I have used a small chisel under one end and tapped it untill it moved. You will most likley need to replace the key when you are done. I would not use heat you may take the temper out of the shaft and the key.

MPH
If you can get it started moving with a punch like stated above you should be able to get a chisel following the keyslot in the shaft under the key, A worn out screw driver ground to the width of the slot will as work. MPH