Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Manual lift won't lock

Allis_B12

When I lift the snowplow on my tractor, the latch on the lift lever won't hold onto the edge of the lift quadrant while the tractor is in motion. This makes me have to pull on the lever to keep the plow in the air when I'm moving the tractor. The edge of the quadrant seems smooth. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Increase the tension on the spring on the lift lever button and be sure the slot in the quadrant is square not angled on the side. If it is file the bottom side to square it up.

I'll try it. I didn't want to file off something I shouldn't or take apart the lever assembly and have it never work right again. Thank you very much.

I added a notch on my B-112 too hold the snowblower about 1/2 inch off the ground. Used my 4 inch peanut grinder and just made a new notch. Also, check the roll pin that holds the latch onto the handle, mine has worked its way half out causing the latch to be sloppy. MPH

My 2110 had the same problem There is a piece,on the lift lever,that moves up and down with the lift button,that locks it in the quadrant. That piece had a groove worn in the bottom of it,from years of use. Had to get a different piece,off a parts tractor I have.

I also had the same problems as MPH and goatfarmer. Also have on my B-10 the lift lever work its way in so close that the piece that locks into the notches was rubbing on the side so hard it wouldn't lock down. May want to check that it is centered and seating all the way down. John

• 2 weeks later...
I'm having the same problem with my 416H lift. Looking at the quadrant it appears that the less worn quadrant slots have a slight hook near the top. Are you sure that filing the slots flat is the correct thing to do? (or am I mistaken about which slots are less worn)

On my B-1 I welded the worn areas on the quadrant and latch then filed them back smooth on the sides and square on the corners. Has worked for years so far.

My blade just likes to drop while I'm trying to turn the blade. So I might have to start wearing steel toe shoes now so I keep all of my toes.

quote:
Originally posted by toad270
My blade just likes to drop while I'm trying to turn the blade. So I might have to start wearing steel toe shoes now so I keep all of my toes.
Ha ha ha. Are you being chased by your tractor?