Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Racing at Start Up

Tom_Byrne

Went to start my Landlord last nite to plow. I put the throttle and choke at the normal positions- choke all the way and a little over half throttle. The engine kicked over right away and raced up to full throttle as I turned the choke off. it stayed that way for a few seconds and then idled down to normal. I plowed with it for two hours with no other problem. However, It did the same thing this morning when I started it. Any ideas? I'm thinking the governor but not sure. Thanx!

My B-10 did that same thing on me. The govener was freezing on me, so I took it and moved it up and down a bit and that helped to loosen it up a bit, I let it idle for a bit then the engine was nice and warm and I never had the problem again. I think my gas was freezing up a bit, I use seafoam in my tank and that helped a lot to.

The governor is probally the problem, generator done that once, once the gas burnt out of the carb then it ran fine,

What is the temp there, and what kind of oil are you using? With SAE-30, it can be "warm" enough to start easily, but still cold enough that the heavy oil will not allow the governer flyweights to function properly. Pat

Tom, As others have said, my guess is the governer is sticking. I had this exact same problem over the weekend and once I brushed off the governer arm and the tractor warmed up the problem was gone. I'm wondering if the winter heat deflector would help with this problem? Speaking of oil, it seems I read somewhere that Simplicity or Briggs recommended synthetic oil for winter use, 5w30 or 10w30 I think. Can anyone help me out on where the heck I read that? Thanks, MadMike (soon to be member, the checks in the mail :-) )

Might be your throtle shaft is freezing up. I've had this happen to me and I think the winter heat shield would help. If you run 30wt oil that could be the trouble as Pat stated. Pat, I've run Mobil 1 10w30 in my B-112 for 3 years now. You may have read that in the cold oil demo posts I did, I recall reading it also but not sure where. MPH

Thanx for the input guys. I'm gonna check it out once my shift is done. BTW, I'm running 5w30 synthetic this year, seems to be working ok so far.