Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

To refurbish or not

mbrook

I'm at another dilema. I'm in the process of getting my 3212V ready for spring. There is alot that I want/needed to do to it. So I started with the BGB and while I had it torn down that far I removed the insturment panel to weld the seat latch back on. Also I pulled the engine so I can clean out the cooling fins and scrape the carbon off and rebuild the carb. Now I look at whats left and am thinking that since its torn down this far I should repaint it. But I have no heat in my garage and its kinda cold out (mid-teens at night and mid twenties during the day). I can get a portable heater and heat the area around me, but its not enough to heat the whole garage. Should I atempt to paint it in the colder temps or just put it back together as is, what till a later date and tear it all down again?

I think if I was you I would wait till warmer weather...However I have done tractors by bringing parts into the house and set them by the woodburner for awhile...and also heat up the area that I was going to be painting in...will help if you can have the paint at room temp also... The paint job came out nice but with all the hassle of warming up things and such I think it would be just as much work as putting it together and take it back apart when time permits...

I would say it depends on how soon you need the tractor in the spring. If you need it right away maybe you could start painting it now but if you are not going to use it untill garden prep time you should have time to wait for warmer weather. I have done one tractor early but it ends up taking a lot longer and I would prefer to wait untill it warms up enough so you can set up one day and paint everything. Just my thoughts.

mbrook, i am new to this and hate to do the same thing twice, for that reason i am waiting this spring to paint my tractor. I have promed some of it but have most of it under wrpes for the winter.

Mark In order to post pictures in your post first you have to upload them This is done by clicking on the paperclip icon in the reply window. Complete instructions are posted at the top of most forums. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21596[/url]

So far all my repaint jobs have been done in the winter as summer I'm lucky to find time to use them tractors. I have a small back porch I turned into my paint room. Put a window fan in the plastic window, leave the door open, crack the front door of the house for air flow and pack the parts in and out. It is a lot of extra work, but normally I have time in the winter months. I find it hard when I have one torn down for some repair to put it back together rusty, thinking I'll tear it down just to paint later, I know me, won't happen. Course, I don't claim any of mine to be 'restored', just preserved. MPH

Thanks for the comments, maybe I'll just clean it up good and wait till summer or until I get some heat in my garage. Here is what it looks like now. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/mbrook/3212v.JPG[/img]

With the engine and dash out,why not buy enough paint to do the whole tractor,but just paint the parts accessable now,with the dash and engine out? That way,when you do paint the rest of it,those parts will be done,without re-pulling the engine,etc.

Mark, I know what you mean. Where do you stop? Since you're that far along it sorta makes sense to finish it. This is my predicament also. Except I didn't stop :) I'm just cleaning, repairing and priming. when warm weather comes back I'll paint and re-assemble. Paint takes a long time to dry well enough to handle unfortunately :( Steve

That is another option...You could clean up parts and prime them then when the warmer weather hits spray the paint...Sometimes we get some warmer days that you could paint better in before spring really gets here...I have painted before with good results in 40+ degrees..but the temps lately I doubt it would come out very good

I painted one last winter. Kerosene heaters in the garage. Painted with rattlecans. Left heat on till paint could be touched without leaving a print. The job turned out pretty good.