Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
EDS

Autopsy of Peerless 657 Transaxle

EDS
I wound up with a three wheeled, no engine AC 608 with a Peerless MOD 657 Three Speed transaxle. One of the rear wheels had a broken axle. I like to take junk apart to see how it works and why it broke. I found that it had very good seals in the aluminum center which did not allow any lubricant to get to the cast iron axle tubes. The outboard bearings were completely shot, a few needles laying inside the axle tube. There was a deep grove warn in the axle by the remnants of the bearing.

For those with this transaxle who want it to last it might be a good idea to pull the rear wheels and check the bearing. If one drilled and taped a hole for a Zirk fitting, the bearing could be greased and any dirt pushed out. If one had to replace the bearing, I think a bronze bushing type would be adequate if lubricated. Is there a Simplicity tractor which uses this transaxle?

andy gartner
Hi Think Simplicity 5008, 4108, 4111 use 657 Peerless 3-speed. Does it look like trans bearings could be lubed w/a hypodermic type luber from outside thru inner seal. (Rokon-Dan might know)

rokon2813
Dont get me lying to ya ;) I tear em apart and sell em, I dont fix em ;) I do know some of the simps use peerless but withour going and looking at some I couldnt tell you what models or how to repair them.

mowerman1193
I had a trans go bad on me in a Simplicity 4211 (different model peerless)but the dealer told me that was the week point in most of them...He also advised to put a zerk in each axle housing end...and give in a shot once a year...The model I had was packed with grease and he claimed that was another week point because the grease would harden up and separate from the gears thus not lubing it...