Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
toad270

pic size

Gary
If you know of someone who has Adobe Photoshop, you can do just about anything to a picture that you could dream of. It will save you new creation in a GIF format, if you so desire (web friendly).:)

HubbardRA
IrfanView works best for me. I haven't tried the new one that Kent recommended. PhotoShop is not really good for resizing because I had to make the pictures small to get the size low enough. In IrfanView, usually all I have to do is change to 16 bit color and they fit. Once-in-a-while, I will still have one that won't post. Then I have to go back and make the picture a little smaller in actual size to get it below the 100K.

Kent
Guys -- check the file size not the picture size on the screen to make sure it is less than 100 KB before you try posting. It will save a lot of frustration... Also, don't confuse file size with picture size -- they aren't the same. Think of picture size as a measure of volume, like a bucket. Think of file size as a measure of weight. A gallon of rocks and a gallon of feathers don't weigh the same... File size depends on how much detail and how many colors are used in the picture, in addition to the size of the picture.... File size is what impacts not only storage space on the server, but also how long it takes the picture to be sent to your browser and displayed on your screen.... I can produce 800 X 600 .jpg pictures in the 40KB - 70KB range that still look very good, using graphics compression programs. In a native format to graphics programs (like Microsoft Paint, PhotoShop or PaintShop Pro) that same file might be 3MB or even far more.... Focus on compressing the file size -- not just shrinking the picture.