Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I'll be condemned for sure now....

SmilinSam

Just took a perectly good working 1966 B-10 and began parting it out on Ebay[:0].....Great seat:D, headlights;), weights^, chains|), blade8D, panels:o), grill:I and so on and so on.... No hope for me is there.... [V]

quote:
Originally posted by Allis_B12
Sam, you must really have some willpower to resist the beauty and simplicity of a good FDT.
I agree....I think maybe that new tractor has put a spell on him :D But I have to say that I have been known for things like that at time's because "money talks" and parting them out you can double or triple your money rather than selling as a whole...;)

I dont have a problem with that Sam ;) I have a Simplicity Landlord 101 on ebay right now with no bids :(! The way I see it, I offered it to the world for someone to keep it whole 8D and nobody wants to so if it ends without bids it will be parted out to keep a bunch of these old machines running. :D:D

Dan, your 101 looks good. I mentioned in another post that cash is tight now. Space could get short too! Would you let me know before you part that out? Michael G.

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
I dont have a problem with that Sam ;) I have a Simplicity Landlord 101 on ebay right now with no bids :(! The way I see it, I offered it to the world for someone to keep it whole 8D and nobody wants to so if it ends without bids it will be parted out to keep a bunch of these old machines running. :D:D
Well that's just it I had a 3210V a couple of years ago and I tried to sell it, thought I was gonna have to keep it or part it out then It finally sold... But as stated above they are worth twice inparts as what they are in whole...

I bought the tractor Monday . Didn't have a PTO or Mower deck. It was setup for snow removal since new and never has mown grass. Probably why the steering wheel is so good, operator always had gloves on. They had repainted it caterpiller yellow though. Engine runs great, but needs points and a tune up as its finickey to get started. I had to think about it but theres just no way you can get the figures selling it whole that you can get in pieces shipping them around the country. The kicker is , when I got home with it I had a message on the answering machine from the seller . He for got to show me the AC416S behind the garage. Going back next week to get that one too...:D He said its got a hole in the block and the electric clutch is missing, but its got a 48" mow deck or so he says.

Graham, I'd love to help you out but I dont make anything that way. I could part yours out instead but in the event some parts dont sell, I'd rather be stuck with parts more compatible with my B's.:D

Ok, I didnt think of that, Looks like i'll probably have to part it out then if I cant sell it in a few days.

For what its worth in my few years of parting these out, the 70 and older stuff does real well selling out in parts. I can and have sold them right down to and including the frames.:D The 71 and newer stuff doesn't do so well in parts, not much there anyone is looking for unless a power lift or an engine or something like that. I do better doing some quick repair work on those and selling them for a lawn mower to somone.( as long as I don't get too much time in them)

Thanks Sam. Thats something I wanted to hear! :D:D Next step is to dig some out from under 2 feet of snowdrift and finish tearing them apart. ;)

To each his own.8) To me,I can't see taking a running working machine apart,especially an older one.I realize you can triple or better your money sometimes by parting them out.I just can't do it. The 65 Tempest sitting in my garage by all rights should have been parted out. Rusty trunk,small rust hole in the frame,rusty fenders,etc.I'll have more money in that car than I could ever recover. But it ain't always about money with me.And besides,the last time I checked,they don't make 65 Tempest's anymore,just like I haven't seen any new B10's.

Blasphemy! What's the motto of this club - "Keep it simple, keep it going and keep it!" This is a sad day. Sold many parts myself, always from a tractor with no or a bad engine or tranny. Never torn down a perfectly good one to make an extra buck. Never will. May I make a motion for IMPEACHMENT?

quote:
Originally posted by Brent_Baumer
Blasphemy! What's the motto of this club - "Keep it simple, keep it going and keep it!" This is a sad day. Sold many parts myself, always from a tractor with no or a bad engine or tranny. Never torn down a perfectly good one to make an extra buck. Never will. May I make a motion for IMPEACHMENT?
Sounds Good to me:D.....but then they just might make you president of the club.....[:0]
quote:
To me,I can't see taking a running working machine apart,especially an older one.I realize you can triple or better your money sometimes by parting them out.I just can't do it.
Well, after about the 30th or 40th take down, paint, and re-assembly job & selling for what amounts to $1.50 /hour labor- the decision gets alot easier just to drive em in and part em out.8D Really... I've had my fun with em over the years, so I'm of the opinion that its not so bad to sacrifice a good one to put together half a dozen others so more people can have their fun. As for the money end of it, there's nothing wrong with making the most of what you have in front of you to work with. To that end, selling these out in parts has gotten me now to within 9 months of being completetly debt free. And that is worth more to me than a whole shed full of restored tractors to play with.;) I figure another 20 tractors and we're there!

Sounds good Sam! We're at a point in our lives where the major debts,like the house,are paid for.And there aren't too many better feelings than that.Now,in our mid 40's,we're working for retirement,and paying the monthly expenses. So,like I said,in my case,it's not about the money. It's driving down the street in a 65 Pontiac,and have people giving the thumbs up,or cutting grass with a 35 yr old mower,and doing a better job than the neighbor with his 3 yr old Deere. And I would NEVER vote for impeachment!;)

I've got to say that I'm dissapointed but I guess not surprised, what do you do with parts no one buys? I have lots of parts no one's shown interest in. I've put lots more into some tractors than they are worth and they are still junk, but I'd do it all over again. So far I've only parted out ones that I got already missing the engine and transmission, or like my B207, I tried to save her but in the end the froze up frame pivot won the battle, it was stripped of its one or two good parts and the frame taken to scrap. I didn't want to but what esle could I do?And that tractor was worth relatively nothing in parts. I guess I'm crazy for planning to fix up this old 707. And don't ask about the hood.

I'm also trying to get my hands on a late B-10 thats been painted a couple of times but its complete minus the seat. I'm sure it looks like a parts machine to some people.

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
The 71 and newer stuff doesn't do so well in parts, not much there anyone is looking for unless a power lift or an engine or something like that. I do better doing some quick repair work on those and selling them for a lawn mower to somone.( as long as I don't get too much time in them)
Maybe I got lucky, but I had a 6216 1984 (I think)bought400 Used it for 4-5 years Broke the teethoff some gears in the trans, would have cost me $400 to fix and couldn't find a used one so,....Tore it down put it on Ebay and also Our classifieds here and cleared about $700, and I still have the hood with lights, the seat deck and couple other parts from it. Also bought a 5211 on Ebay for $80, another bad trans. Tore it down, and I quit adding up the money after I went over $300 in parts on Ebay. I think there is becoming a need for these "NEWER" tracor parts because they are so darn expensive to buy the parts from a dealer, and we all here know that a used AC or Simp. part is still going to out last us. John

Well Sam, I personally would find it hard to part out a complete tractor, but figure it’s none of my business what you do with your tractors. I do enough things I should probably be condemned for without condemning someone else! But this does raise an interesting issue for me. I have a Broadmoor I bought to restore. (Picture in my gallery). It is complete, with a mower deck, except for the front grill. Complete but in pretty sad shape as it has sat outside for some time. There are weeds growing out of the seat. Now Dan has a twin to it for sale, which appears to have the missing grill I need. But do I buy the whole tractor for parts or wait till he parts it out and bid on the grill? Decisions, decisions, decisions. BTW, I only paid $25. for the Broadmoor.

Grills are hard to come by for thoseit would seem. If I had any I could probably getnot quite twice what you paid for your whole tractor out it., But, Thats about the only part on those that I have good returns on on the Btroadmoors other than a hi/low unit. It doies pay to have a spare tranny thats good sitting in the corner. Best I can do on advice.

• 2 months later...
If it was not for Sam's willingness to part with a couple for seed to get started with, I would not be like Waylon, I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane. After all, I had two Deere 110's and two 112's that kept me going from 93 until last year when I decided to go the Allis/Simplicity route. Good thing I have retired so I now have time to work on these and play country music. The helicopter will just have to take a back seat until at least the Simplicity is running. Harold Dean

Dan: How about a link to your Landlord on ebay--I can't find it here in the classifieds, nor on ebay. Thanks.

I have really enjoyed my Lanloard-101 Smilinsam helped me out with some parts. I have not yet told my wife about the AC-310 that is coming this week or next. Wish my hobby could get me out of debt instead of farther into debt. Good luck Sam.