Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
nighteye

Why fix that pesky oil leak?

nighteye
My 9020 has had a minor oil leak that started in the summer.I figured it could wait until winter (between snowstorms). The leak has been getting worse and its had a few other problems too and is due for some of the major maintenence items so I dove into it last night. This is what I found.

Wonder why it was running hot?:o) That grass really sticks to that oil. I think the leak is coming from the oil filter mounting bracket. The bolts were actually loose and Its clean there.

Just thought I'd share this. I'll never treat an oil leak as "minor" again. Now I better get to the clean up job.

mowerman1193
quote:
Originally posted by Bunky
Yes the problem is that if you don't stop when an oil leak is pesky then it starts leaking more and soon it's out of oil and the engine is seized up...
I agree...sometimes its hard to find the time when you don't need to use it but making time can sometimes save lots of time and money in the long haul...

slughammer
I found the same loose oil filter bracket on my 720. Just about impossible to tighten them up with the motor in place. I went to the local harware and bought (2) 5/16-18 x 1" socket head cap screws (IIRC). The access with a ball end hex key (allen wrench) is much better. I gave the threads on each bolt a little love smack with a hammer to deform the threads and act as a locking mechanism before I installed them.:)

JP
EEIIOOUU!! I hate those. I got one in where the guy just kept on adding oil, finally cooked the rings & valve guides. Then he complained it smoked! I powerwashed it at home & it left a ring on the grass, then I had to hit it AGAIN when I got the motor out!! JP

Agricola
Slughammer, I have done the hammer thing but usually only on things I never want to come loose. Do you not think that some locktite or something like that might not be better? Heck, I have even used permatex on threads when there was nothing else handy.

powermax_paul
I wonder if there is an Onan out there that doesn't leak at least a little oil. I've cleaned my onans spotless and they still run hot and leak oil around the pans. Six months later I clean 'em again.

nighteye
Well, I fixed the oil leak at the oil filter mount, then in order to clean all that oily grassy gook out, the engine had to come out. It cleaned up real good. When its running,it blows lots of air through and runs a whole lot cooler. This engine had never been removed and I think is been partially blocked since I got it a couple years ago, because its never put out so much air. Now I hope I can paint it up and not have to worry about the front end discoloring because of all the heat. A question for Paul and any other Powermax/Onan owners, Are all your hoods discolored like this? When I got this the decals were blistered in front because of it. Im looking into a way to insulate the muffler a little, Still thinkin on this one. Thanks Ken

JP
Hey Ken, Have a look in the gallery for "Perfection" from John Ghindea (Which I'm now the proud owner of!), see what he did on the 720 hood. It works awesome!!! JP PS Aren't you missing some heat deflectors under the hood?

nighteye
Hey JP; I checked it out in the gallery and that is one AWESOME 720 you have there. Didnt really want to cut into an original hood but that looks real good and if hot air blows out like you say, it sure seems like it would ease the heat problem on the hood. I picked up some insulation from a steam line company and think it will work well under the hood. Im also gonna steal a couple more ideas like the gages and lights. I really like your tractor. Gonna tear into mine soon and you just gave me a goal. Thanks a lot, Ken ps not sure about the heat shield your talking about, I'll look real carefully at the manual.

jlasater
Blue loctite will keep most bolts from loosening up. Red loctite is for serious things that you REALLY don't want to come undone, like transmission and engine bolts. Red loctite can cause problems in aluminum and light sheetmetal, and can strip out small parts. Be sure to use brake cleaner on the part to make sure it's clean before using the loctite.