Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How do you care for your tractor?

? I'm not sure this is the right post, but I'm interested in how people take care of their pride and toys. I've plowed three snow storms and I've tried getting the snow off my machine, but it's really hard. I don't have a heated garage so it's next to impossible. I thought about heating my garage temporarily enough to get the snow off, but is that really worth it? My main beater machine is not mint, yet... I want to restore it. Though I still don't want it to rust away. I'm also interested in summer cleanup and just general maintenance. So far I've been very good in watching the oil levels, oiling the air cleaner (any tricks or techniques in oiling that filter?), and greasing any of the grease joints I can find. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like your on the right track already. As for oiling the filter, you can look up directions in the briggs manual and they are pretty clear. If you don't have one recomend it. It's worth the investment. However the directions from memory are something like this, wash thoroughly with gas, sqeeze excese& shake out, let air dry a few minuets. Refil with the same weight oil you use for the engine. Sqeeze excese oil and install. I find it easier if I sqese it while I apply the oil and let it expand in my hand so it soaks it up faster then sqese again to remove excese.

I'm bad about Taking Care of my tractors.. I get then ready for the summer Change the oil and spark plug Grease them and then during the summer I get forget full and in a hurry... I keep saying that I'm gonna take better care of it.. I don't have any Premo Tractors... So I'm gonna do a better job this year.. (i hope to anyway) One thing as far as summer goes you want to clean the deck out after every use...

I brush the snow of outside with a soft bristle broom then back it in and let it run about 5-10 minutes (with the garage door open of coarse) to melt and dry itself off some...but really it sounds like you have the general idea of what to do...

When I ue to have to let mine sit outside I had a large box from a kitchen stove I did a little cutting on, when done blowing snow I'd cover it from the steering wheel forward and let it run til it dried off. Worked good for two years. Now my tractors are spoiled and sit in the warm shop.. MPH

My garage isn't heated either. I use a Kero-Sun, Omni 85, to heat my garage when needed. These kerosene heaters are very efficient. And they don't cost much to operate. You can also use them to heat your house if the power goes out, loose gas supply, etc.;):)

Your doing just fine, I use a pair of cheap rubber glove's to oil air filter's. And like you I don't have a garage eather. So I cover them up with a tarp and use a space heather to melt off the snow.

I wonder about the kerosene heaters. I was using one in my garage and the CO detector went off. I know a garage is not a good place for one but I keep one in the wood shop area and it wa affected. I can't wait until I get the furnace connected and can heat that garage like I want to. Those tractors will love being above freezing during the winter.

quote:
(any tricks or techniques in oiling that filter?)
I use liquid car wash and water to clean a foam air filter. Then, squeeze the mixture out, and let it dry. Put a spot of clean oil on it, about the size of a half-dollar. Wring the extra oil out and through the filter. Then, reinstall the filter.

I blow my Agco918 off after each use with air and then wipe it down with real fine cloth that you use to wax your car with.They dont scrach it up at all and after awhile in the summer i wash it with car wash soap,the blue stuff that you use to wash your car with and then wipe it dry.I use a chrome cleaner on the hupcaps and then cover it with a bed sheet.In the winter after plowing snow i wipe it down real good to get snow off.I do this with my mower deck ,snowblade and my simplicity 3 hp rear tine tiller after each use.Everything in my fleet is wiped off and covered up after each use.I am pickier than most but i dont have to worry about rust.I paint in the spring or in the fall where the paint peals off on the rear of the tractor where the hitch is to keep it from rusting. I clean the whole tractor this way including the engine after each use.I hate grass on the tractor so this is why i go to the time of cleaning it .I armoral the engine and seat and tires to make it look new after each use or 2 .