Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bearings...to grease or not to grease..that is the

Hello all, I am ready to reassemble the tranny on my simplicity 616.My question is,should the bearings be packed with grease or are they lubricted by the tranny oil. the bearings do have washers that sit on them,will these washers seal them from the tranny oil or do they allow tranny oil in to lube them therefore not requiring grease.these are the bearings that the wheel shafts pass thru and also the bearing that the brake shaft passes thru and holds a gear assembly on the inside of the tranny...hope this is clear, makes sense to me cause i wrote...HaHaHa :) Thanks,,,,Joe

Hi, They will probably get lubricated with the 80 gear lube. I personally always lube everything when I put it together. Elininates dry starts. I usually use Lubriplate type A when I install connecting rod bearings and put it on camshaft lobes when I assemble an engine. I would probably put some lithium grease in the needle bearings or at least squirt a little oil in them. My thoughts and they are free, so value them accordingly. Good luck, Al