Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need Opinions on Cub Cadet "Freebee"

BigSix

All: I will probably jinx myself for counting chickens before they're hatched, but here goes: An acquaintance is taking a "junk tractor" off of a citizen's property for him, and will give it to me, although I will attempt to press $10. - 20.00 into his hand, to say "thanks." My friend is in a position to find such items regularly, and I wish to impress upon him my continued interest in such finds. Too often, he simply watches as such things hit the crusher. [:0] Ugh.... The tractor is an I.H. Cub Cadet, but smaller than any I've seen before. I could not get w/in 40' of it, but it appears to say "75" on the side. I'm not familiar with this model, or any cub, for that matter. Does this mean it's a 7.5 hp. model? It looks to be in the same class as a Broadmoor, to me, although the only Broadmoors I've seen are here--never in person. It definitely apears to be smaller than a large frame Simplicity. It looks very "bare" and open, but clearly there is still (most of?) an engine there. It appears that there is a deck under it but, due to the snow, I can't be sure. It does not appear to have run in years, and has been sitting out, but is still mostly yellow, not rust colored. If it is not reasonably fixable, I was hoping to emulate our President (Smilin'Sam) and try my hand at "parting out." Is there a sufficient market for this little tractor to make this worthwhile? What is the parts situation re: these models, if anyone knows? When were they built, approximately? Alternatively, I would certainly be amenable to a trade, in full or in part, for a round-hood Landlord, although the 2012 would be my first choice. I would also be interested a Simp. snowblower attachment, or certain other brands of tractors, (Wheelhorse, Economy--oops. Dozed off there...) as I already have a 725 and 2110. I know "pullers" like the Cub Cadets, but probably not ones as small as this one, I'd guess. Anyway, love to hear your opinions and any info or experience anyone would like to share. And now that I'm already "wheelin' an' dealin', watch how the deal will dry up before it happens.:o) But I wanted to learn if it was even worth my time and "thank you" money. Thanks again, Peter

There are a 70,71,72& 73 models that are all early to late sixtys that have a 7hp. Kohler engine.They are collectable and parts are available.Fenders for these models can bring $100.00 alone as they were optionional accessories and are hard to find.

If it is smaller in size maybe it is a 76 cub cadet. That would be about the same as the early broadmoore simplicity. If it is a 76 cadet it would have a verticle 7 horse briggs in it and 8 inch rear tires. I have one of these in my to do pile, it is the same as the first lawn tractor we had years ago. I have seen a couple parted out on ebay but couldn't give you an idea of what they are worth. The 70,71,72,73 cadets were larger than the 76. The 76 had a fiberglass hood and grill that tips forward to get at the engine. They were built in the early 70,s with a special "spirit of 76" version with stars and stripes decals for the bicentenial in 1976.

I gave away one of these tractors recently. I also gave away a 129. Both done to foster relationships that have in the past and will in the future be very beneficial. I gave them away "free", even hauled the 129 to a friend's house. I would, however, like to have a complete set of those Cub disk brakes, so that I could put steering brakes on one of my ACs. I eyed the ones on the 129, but I couldn't make myself destroy a complete tractor just because I wanted the brakes. Can't stand to see complete machines broken down into parts.

Rod, I've bought a pair of external brake cub calipers, mounts, linkage for about $15 on ebay (I've got a sweet 122 and a basket case 128) They come up every month or so, so there's plenty of folks parting them out. Don Vogt is a member here I believe, and he is a big supplier of cub parts.

Thanks for the info. I'll watch ebay. I usually only go there when I am really in need of something, but don't watch it regularly. I have also purchased parts from Don before.

The Cub people are even more fanatical than the Simplicity/AC people. Watch Ebay and the old Cubs can bring in good money in bad shape. Just bought a Cub 124 and talk about a heavily built tractor almost broke my ramp. Doesn't cut like a Simplicity though. Mike

Thanks, everyone--you've definitely piqued my interest. My friend told me at the time he wouldn't be able to get it from the guy until Monday, (and hoped he didn't change his mind) but as I don't know the man, and it's my friend that has the relationship with him, (and is in a position to find more such items in future) I'm forced to sit back and wait. I'll have an update for you Monday night, hopefully. Thanks again! Peter

Even if you don't get it, Peter, you've brought some Cubs "out of the closet" here! My 147 is built like a tank and has really impressed me with its "bush hogging" capabilities. If you get it, you just might decide to keep it. It's going to be a long weekend! :D F.

• 2 weeks later...
Lol--you guys made me smile about this--little else has. My neighbor did his typical disappearing act, re: the "I'll call you--got your cell." Never called. I don't feel like doggin' him at this home. You're right about the snow-he didn't call the promised Monday, and snow Tues. Since then, more snow, and I went upstate a few days. He is very scattered--I told him to bolt the 110v starter back on his snowblower's block, months ago--it's still loose and shrieking as it destroys the ring gear. I even offered to fix it for him. He did give my better half a ride to work, when the car was down, last week. She expressed my cont'd interest and he says "Oh yeah, we get that stuff all the time!" And it seems he crushes them all the time too (works at munic. recycle center). So the only missng piece is buttonholing him to have him tell me either the guy chg'd his mind or "I didn't think you still wanted it." I'm just gonna give up hoping he'll tell me what up and I'll just start driving down there and picking, daily, I guess. You'd think havng repaired his snowblower previously, etc..., (and he being clueless) he would "give back" more than empty words. I'll see what develops, and ask him what happened, even though he is supposed to call me when "the time is right...." "Always a bridesmaid, never a bride?" Peter

• 3 weeks later...
Funnily enough, last week I went by the owner's property and saw the tractor still sitting there, big as life. I've been out of town for a week, and will be next week, but I plan on swinging by to ask my "friend" about the tractor. I did this two weeks ago, but the men were apparently out on the job, so I didn't see anyone there to talk to. So, no, we're not "done" yet--I have yet to be given the newest version of lame excuse as to why these tractors are so hard to obtain when "we get them all the time!". I will report back when I know more. I was looking forward to parting it out or selling it to anyone interested. Peter

10 Horse: While I identify with your sentiment, the tractor currently resides on it's owner's lawn, next to the house. It has not been officially "thrown out" yet--were I to "go get it" I presume that's exactly what would happen to me--lol. All: My friend now mumbled something about how he "...wouldn't mind having that tractor himself." This may explain his later reluctance to call me to come get it for myself. Which is fine. He is my hook up to (hopefully) much more such bounty, as his job is in the recycle center of a municipal waste mgmt. facility for a NJ town. As such, he is the last line of defense between what people's disinterest in what we seek and...the crusher. A few days ago, he called to tell me there was a snowblower to be had. I went and though it was an Ariens (a good brand) it was only a 4hp, had hard rubber tires, on tiny (6"?) wheels, and the engine was seized. Needless to say, I passed, but not before snagging an engineless, late model, Sears walkbehind snowblower... on tracks. I have always wanted to try one of these. The blower is complete but for the engine, as far as I can see, and in excellent shape, with the trigger clutches working, etc.... (It has bulldozer-type power steering). Apparently the engine was removed some time ago. A coworker of my friend has the same machine and says it's the correct engine. I saw what I believe is the engine for it, with a busted intake manifold (no doubt when they threw it into the truck or crusher.) It has a PTO coming out of the crankcase, above the crankshaft. My friend, at my insistance, brought the engine home to me to remove the 110V starter that the coworker who snagged the engine in the first place wanted. I gave back the starter and kept the engine. No one knows who removed it, why or even if it's the correct engine. I will research this shortly, (I hope) on Sear's site. While there I also rescued a 3.5 hp. Snapper aluminum deck walk behind, with power on the rear wheels. It also had the grass bag, in good shape, relatively clean oil and gas, and fired right up. It does a have a broken front wheel but, as the drive is on the rear, this is easily replaced. Interestingly, both the '70's era Snapper mower and the '90's era (?) Sears blower, use a type of transmission last seen on cars or trucks in the early part of this century. It consists of a flat disc with a second flat disc running at 90 degrees to it (I forget the name of this type of trans). The ratios are infinitely variable based on where you set the second wheel, which is on a sliding shaft. The disc (or vice versa?) drives the machine via the wheel, running on the disc at 90 degrees. I thought it odd that the the first time I saw this type of trans employed in lawn equip., I found two such examples, from disparate eras. Enough for now--if my friend regrets "giving" me the IH, which it appears he does, that's fine w/ me, but I'm sorry if I got anybody pumped up about it or it's parts. Prediction: I'll help him get it home, he'll see how much TLC it needs, and I'll be hocking it here or on Ebay.... The timetable is up to my friend, but I would think a month or three would do it. Peter