Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7018H (New Lucky Owner?!?) Help!

Smitty

Just bought the 7018H from ebay over in Winston-Salem. Engine sounds great (although this is my first Sim/Allis) I would not have bought it IF I had found this forum first. B) Its still on my hauling trailer but I see the following issues that you may be able to help me with: needs the following: new tires new belts new seat and seat bracket (rusted completely out) the 48" deck is rusted through in several spots (can be welded I believe) Engine sounds fine but how would I know about the nightmares with this thing? Assuming it needs major tune up and going over what should I be looking for and do to it? Mark in Brentwood, TN[V]

Welcome to the Club, Smitty. This is surely the place to get your answers! Your comment on not getting the tractor without finding this site first caught my eye, and wondering how many others feel that way? It's got to be some of the best "free advertising" that Simplicity and A-C get!

I think you'll be very pleased with this tractor--especially the power the engine produces. I've never had a problem with mine in the 18 years I've owned it. If it sounds good and doesn't smoke, it's probably OK IMO. You may want to take a quick look at the valves and inspect them for play. Otherwise, give it a cosmetic make-over and have some fun! DaveM

We are always looking for pictures.:p Welcome to the club. I went back and re-read your post. Are you saying you would or would not have bought the 7018H if you had or had not found this club/site first?? Like the other posts, I believe you are catching the bug and will enjoy your tractor and this site more than you have ever dreamed. WELCOME!!:) Dan

Welcome to the club! Sounds like you got yourself a fine tractor to me...Check the classifieds here and maybe you will find a good deck if yours can't be fixed..

Thanks for the kind words. I would have bought an AC or Sim maybe just not this one. I noticed the engine has quite a loud ticking sound to it. I am assuming the valves need adj.????

Welcome Smitty, Its an overhead valve engine. See if you can down load the Kohler engine manual. Belts are easy to get. I think you might want to run it an get familiar with it.

I think what he's saying as I asked some questions about this tractor before I bid on it. As I recall this engine was only made for a year or two and had some problems. Now parts are hard to find. One member I believe replaced the 18HP with a 16HP. Thnats why I stopped bidding on it. Mike