Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs Eng parts discontinued!,,

dlcentral

2 dealers here recently told me they will not be able to get any more blocks,shortblocks pistons etc for the old cast irons,supposedly this was in effect already 6 mos. or more? Who's got any info on aftermarket parts for these? Stens,Rotary Prime line all do NOT have them [V]??,,.

When I was rebuilding my 300421, I encountered the same problem. Fortunately, Briggs was still making the parts. But, it was annoying to have to pay such high prices when it only cost $59.95 for the whole Kohler 14HP rebuild kit from Foley-Belsaw. Foley-Belsaw has rebuild kits for all the Briggs except the 10 and 12HP Cast Irons.

I checked with my local NAPA store and they said that they can still get most of the parts to rebuild the old Briggs cast iron engines. pistons, rings, conecting rods, valves, gasket sets.... This is all in there Power Equipment Product catalog (PEP4)

So there won't be any more rebuild parts for the large Briggs CI engines? I guess I'd better start hunting soon for an NOS rebuild kit for a 12 hp, I don't want to blow the engine two years from now and not have rebuild parts.

Another example of corporate (non)loyalty? The old CI engines must have been lasting too long, so Briggs figured, "Hey, we can force people to buy our new stuff. Of course, if I was more optimistic, I'd just assume Briggs was concerned about the environment, knowing that (I hate to say it) these older engines (even in fine tune) allegedly do pollute much more than the newest ones. You 'spose they're just worried about the environment? Sure, that's it.

I took this from the Briggs website in their FAQs: Question What is the availability of parts for my engine? Answer This depends on the availability of the part from our Central Sales and Service Distributor and/or our factory. Your best source of information regarding pricing and availability of parts, engines, shortblocks, etc., would be a Briggs & Stratton Authorized Servicing Dealer. If the part number, after being entered in the Repair Parts or Maintenance Parts section of our website, diplays eCommerce Dealers, the part (in most cases) is available. Parts can also be ordered via phone by calling 800-444-7774. I checked the availability of some parts for my 300421. Ring sets and pistons seem to be available in std., .010, .020, and .030 sizes, except .030 costs $30 more. A connecting rod is availabe. The governor parts which I looked up are also available. Cranks, valves, and heads for the 300421 do not come up with a result. They're probably NLA, but maybe a NOS part could be found somewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by dlcentral
I have the Napa book too my dlr says parts cost $15 EACH extra for shipping I told them to stuff it!,,
Dave, My local NAPA dealer gets me these parts in 1 to 3 days, no extra shipping, and usually for less than OEM parts. Have not had any problems with this rout so far....

My local NAPA carries a lot in there wearhouse i can get in one or two day. Thats the nornal day to day stuff. But the lower volume stuff like pistion and rods some carb parts they get form a big Briggs distributer in St louis. I get thoughs in about 2 days and pay a small fright charge (3 or $4). Or if Im not in a hurry they will hold off for a few days and put in several orders at the same time. Then we split the fright. They have allso called me to see if i need any parts, they where putting in a order. They have a guy there that has many of the Briggs parts # in his head, he very good.