Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Clearing Snow

maxtorman1234

Got to use the 917 and blower again today, had fun in some 1 1/2 - 2 foot drifts. The snow was actually over the top of the blower, but it cleared it easily. Sure blows the deep stuff far, but I cant always seem to keep it on the ground.

Good looking 917! West Central Ohio, is getting snow as I type this. Only going to get 3 or 4 inches. But, that's enough to get the 710 and blower going! If I can find someone willing to brave the elements, I'll get some pics.

THanks, its my fathers, The only thing bad about the blower is that when I drove over to my uncles to clear his driveway, I stopped and talked for a while, since hes letting me use his shed to do the tractor work in. I went back out, and I couldnt turn the spout on the blower, it was frozenB). I had to blow the rest lthe way it was, when its -15C out, the snow sure is cold in your face:)

On the picture it looks like your shoes on the blower are riding a little high on the leading edge, this might be causing your problem of riding up on the snow. Where did you get that blue gas cap??

THe plastic cover is broken on th gas cap, so its just the blue bag the newspaper comes in:D Had a few problems with water in the gas:(!Sure is hard to get out of the carb!

quote:
Got to use the 917 and blower again today, had fun in some 1 1/2 - 2 foot drifts. The snow was actually over the top of the blower, but it cleared it easily. Sure blows the deep stuff far, but I cant always seem to keep it on the ground.
The problem might be the spring on the side of your snow blower. None of my snow blowers have that spring. All my snow blowers stay down.;) Karl [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/karl_brandt/Hpim0056.jpg[/img]

I never thought of that, It came with the blower, thats where the manual says it should be, But It shouldnt hurt to try it without it. Although its quite difficlut to get back on

The spring is a lift assist spring for the smaller tractors it is not needed on the larger tractors or with hydro lift. To adjust the skid shoes set the blower on a flat surface place a shim under the scraper blade on each side (I use two 1/8" paint sticks under the scraper) then adjust the skid shoes to the flat surface level front to back.

Nice looking rig. I wore out the skid shoes on mine and just had to build new ones out of angle iron. I'll hard face them tomorrow and put them on. More snow predicted. UCD thanks for the tip on adjustment. John