Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
callwill

Hydrotrans leak/problem 3212H

callwill
Up until recently i had a small leak. Its now a blood trail that a blindman could follow. If i get low behind the tractor I can see it coming down from somewhere up under the cooling fins. I'm hoping this is a simple fix like a gasket or seal(or tightening some loose bolts) that i can do quickly in my garage. Along with that i have what i hope is a related problem: once warmed up, if i hydro forward to full speed, after about 25 to 50 ft the tractor will start to slow to a crawl & then sometimes climb right back up to speed. Other times it will stop. If i reverse it, it will back right up & then go forward again until it repeats the problem. If i stop it when it slows & wait a couple of moments it will move forward again. I'm wondering if it could be sucking air from where is is leaking fluid. Any ideas? will it be something simple enought to fix @ zero degrees plus or minus 10? or should i have it hauled to a heated shop for serious surgery?

maxtorman1234
If i'm guessing right, It has a vickers hydro? If so, its not an easy fix. No seals, bolts, gaskets or bearings. You may be able to rig something up to hold an o-ring in there, like I had to do. Takes a while to figure out what to do, but mine has worked 3-4 months now im guessing.

callwill
Yes, Vickers. 1970/71 3212H. You didn't suggest where the leak might be coming from. Do you suspect the pintle?(i need to clean the grass & dirt out of there so i can see if that is the "case"-pun nearly unavoidable!)The old slight leak was from the pintle. Is there any other spot to watch for a leak like this? And what do you make of the start stop action? I reviewed the pintle bushing repair info & i guess you have to tear the hydro completely down to effect that permanent repair. Might it be quicker and cheaper? to replace with rebuilt unit?

Brent_Baumer
Do a search for "Vickers" here of the forums. Including the archives. It will provide further info to the help provided by maxtorman. I think you are on the right track though with the pintle shaft. Very common problem.

Kent
Try this link, and you'll see why I keep asking folks to recommend topics for the Resources section: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_articles.asp?catid=25&cattitle=Vickers

callwill
Yes i had seen that rebush article after my initial post. What does it take to do that job(time & money). How difficult is the disassembly & reassembly if i could do it myself?.What does it cost. Are there rebuilt & bushed units out there & what do they run?

Brent_Baumer
There was a place in Illinois, can't remember the city, that would do it for $100 plus shipping. You send them the pump and the $ and they send it back to you repaired. I have not talked to them in about 3 years though. Member dlcent I think also repairs them or has them repaired. Last I talked to him about it, (also a few years ago) he wanted something on the order of $300 for a repaired one plus your leaky one in exchange. Brent

maxtorman1234
Thats probably where its coming from, the starting and stopping is just a result from the leak, mine was just pouring out the rear, I had no power at all, it seemed to build up some pressure, then it would our out the back, andI would loose speed. I put an o-ring over the shaft, put a flat washer, then a big lock washer. I then put a blot in the hole in the shaft, turned the washer, and no leak:D. Bent a peice of copper wire and wrapped it around the rod below to keep the lock washer from turning. Works great! only, the copper is starting to wear.