Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

RUSTY GAS TANK

Anybody have any suggestions on cleaning out a gas tank that sat for heaven knows how long with water in.I have taken it out and drained but would like to try to get out as much rust as possible...i'm thinking of putting some gas or kerosine and swishing it around but i'm not convinced as to how effective that would be.....any ideas would be appreciated. thanks,Joe

I agree; chain, nuts & bolts, BB's, it will all work quite well. When you're done the tank should be lined. An excellent product which I have used personally is called Kreem Fuel Tank Liner & Tank Prep Combo. This works for all metal gas tanks and is available for $25.99 from Dennis Kirk. In case you're not familiar with them Dennis Kirk is a mail order company for motorcycle, ATV & personal watercraft parts & apparel. The 24hr order number is 800-328-9280. Shipping should be a flat $5. The part number is 31-52 from page 338 of thier '99 Street Catalog. Most gas tanks require one pint of Kreem per three gallons of tank capacity. The part number for additional pints of the liner without the prep kit is 31-60 and sells for $13.99. The product is simple to use. I used it about 6 or 7 years ago on a vintage dirt bike tank and it has held up to date. The tank had rusted through and began to leak at one of the bottom seams. Good Luck, Rob.

Joe, Drop about a foot long peice of chain in the tank with the gas or kerosine and shake it around. Should do a good job of knocking out the rust. I know there is a product available for re-coating the inside of the tank, but I can't remember what it's called. Anybody else know? Todder

Motorcycle shops carry a kit for recoating gas tanks. A handful of nuts and bolts shaken in the tank also work. I have recoated motorcycle tanks with the two part kit, works very well. Mike

There is POR-15 and POR-something else. Used by many of my fellow VW enthusiasts. One is used for removing rust, the other for preventing it and sealing tank. Often used in the old VW fuel tanks with nothing but rave reviews. But just for cleaning, I'd just use the miscellaneous metal junk and fuel idea... handier :^)