Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Interesting Bolens project with tracks

arjr111

Bolens G14 project done by one of the guys over at the Bolens Club. Only the front set of rears is live. [img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_3949703//Yahoo!+Photo+Album/skitrax1.jpg?gr4gDFABQis5iiFb[/img]
quote:
Lots of time and experimentation in building this. The tag tires is simply another Bolens rear end. The rear half of a donor tractor was cut off leaving part of the tube frame sticking out. I knocked the end caps out of my G 14 and found some pipe that would fit in both of the tube frames. The connecting pipe is weleded to the secondary rearend and slides in and out of the G14 rear end. This allows me to return the tractor to stock if I choose too rather easily. There are two turnbuckles that hold the rearends in place, which double in allowing me to put tension on the tracks. The second rear end is not powered, simply driven by the main rearend. The freewheeling pin has been removed from the secondary rearend, and a grease zerk installed to keep things lubed. The tracks are off an old Rupp snowmobile. The track had to be cut in two, which was not so bad because the snowmobiles track was driven by a center sprocket, making a natural place to cut it. The cleats are custom fabricated and are securely pop rivited to the track with steel rivets. As for performance, the thing has incredible traction. In the snow it is unbelievable. I have lost a track while playing, but it was on a steep slope going sideways (something I would not normally do, but was trying to see if I could get a track to come off). The steering with the tires is not bad. The turning radius has increased, but nothing a little weight on the front wouldn't cure. The skis on the other hand are terrible. They just do not get enough bite. Weight would help, as well as some better wear bars on the skis. Also, snow might help since we have had little this year. The skis can be removed and swapped with the tires in a matter of minutes just by removing the roll pin. And for the record, a snowblower will not clear the skis as it is currently set up. Lastly, I have to give credit to my 13 year old son. He spent a lot of his time helping out as well. Enjoy! Jay [url]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/THE_BOLENS_GROUP/[/url]

Ive got lots of extra parts laying around and 3 frames laying around, i need a running motor and i also have a couple of snowmobile skis. WOuld it handel better with tires on the front?

Funny, I was just considering adding skis to the front of my AC917. I am getting "tired" of flats. Although, I would want to add some type of suspension to them to take the edge off some of the bumps around here. :)

:DJeff, Was a article in Farm Show awhile back, I think it was a tricycle type Farmal. The fella was getting many front flat tires in corn stubble. He claimed to have fixed the situation by filling the 2 front tires with cement. He did say the ride took a real beating, but no more flats!! hehehehe