Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

  • Announcements

    • Kent

      Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

      If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

      Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

      See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
maxtorman1234

Variable to Hydro Conversion

Recommended Posts

maxtorman1234
Since the variable was totally messed up on my 310, and the engine from the 712 was already in it, I decided to put the hydrostatic transmission on it too. So, thats what I did today. The rear end of the 712 was a bit longer, we had to take the straight bars that hold the fenders up, and drill new holes in them to fit the hydro istead of gears. THen, I had to work something out for the linkage for the speed control. A peice of metal with holes drilled out to the proper size worked perfeclty. I then used the same metal bent in half, to hold the fenders on, since the holes no longer lined up because of the longer rear end. Now, I have a 312H with a sunstrand hydro. (also has semi-orignal controls). The feders have to sit on an angle so they dont touch the tires, but they're close. I dont think I can use chains. Here's what It looks like:

It no longer looks like your average 310:D Most of it is just temporary though, Ill have to get it done properly soon Also, for those who have converted any of the old b's to sunstrands, How did you do it? Could you post/ send some pics? Any help appreciated, THanks,,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kent
Here's my story of putting an early-model Sundstrand in a B-210: http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/variable_to_hydro.htm Here's Sam's story of putting a later-model Sundstrand in a B-110: http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/variable_to_hydro2.htm Sam's was a lot more challenging since he used the later-model hydrolift driven from the hydrostat pump, while I used the earlier, self-contained unit. Maynard now owns Sam's conversion, while I'm still using mine as my primary tractor. Both have had 16HP engines put in them, since the hydro seems to steal about 2HP or so, just to operate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SmilinSam
You had/have a challenge in front of you. I converted a 312D froma variable to a hydro a couple of years ago or something like that, and after studying the situation I went and hunted down some transmission frame plates that came from a 300 series hydro tractor, along with the original hydro control assembly and used a Vickers from a Simplicity. I just didn't feel like dealing with all the modofacations that were going to have to be made to the Sundstrand setup to make the fenders and controls come out right.Looks like you are making a go ofit though. Press on....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maxtorman1234
THanks, No cutting or bending yet. Just have no brake. It hardly creeps in reverse, so i have to look into the linkage a bit more. I think its pretty good, Its much better than the original gears or a vickers hydro. People say the vickers is smoother, but I think otherwise. My new setup makes the sunstrand very smooth to operate. Its a much better tractor now:D. Now I have another project ahead of me, I have to partially re-build a 410, take the gearbox from the old variable rear end, put it into the 410 , change the trans. because theres a broken bolt, and get the my 10HP running again. Got tires and spindles back on so far, have to properly bolt the hood on, lift lever, re-rivet the dash, find a gas tank, re-wire it, and eventually Im hoping to find ahydro for it too:D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×