Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Black Smoke

Scotmo

My father just called me with a question about a 14 hp Briggs motor on his mower. He said he was low on oil so he added some. Now when he starts the engine he gets a thick black smoke after the engine runs just a few minutes. I was kind of stumped (valves?too much oil?).Then I remembered good ole SIMPLE TRACTORS. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this. He is getting up there in years and it is a long long drive for me to just pop in and check it out. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance Scot

Did he mention anything about the engine running abnormaly? Generally black smoke means the fuel adjustment for whatever reason is to rich. Maybe the choke wire is broke or the high speed jet is too far open. You didn't mention what type of Briggs engine. Maybe it has nothing to do with the oil he added.

I would think if it was too much oil it would smoke from the start. If it were valves they would have to be real bad in my opinion to get "thick black smoke" rather than just a little black smoke. Besides I would also think oil smoke would be more blue than black but thats my opinion too. Hopefully others will have a better idea than me.

An old mechanic I once knew always said "black smoke choke, blue smoke rings, white smoke valves". Doesn't work on vechicles with a catalytic converter, but I think it's still true for these small engines.

Thanks One and all for your help! I just talked to my father and he said the engine shuts down after the black smoke starts.He is going to start checking the fuel system as soon as the snow clears. Thanks again for your help...Scot

Black smoke is mostly from fuel, to fix this problem, try turning the fuel adjustment on the carb, if this does not work then the floats in the carb need to be bent up. Oil produces blue smoke. :D