Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HB212 Axle Tube

AdamF

Hi all. Was talking to my dad last night. Said he was mowing yesterday and went to back up and no reverse.He said it appeared that the axle tube had broken, and it appeared that pieces were missing, and lube was running out. Sorry I can't be more specific as he lives about 85 miles from me. My question is: About how much does this cost to fix, is there any chance of damage inside the tranny, and are parts still available? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. AdamF

Yes with age and stress the axle tube can and will break. And chances are your dad's broke on the right side of the tractor between the diff. and the trans housing. Hopefully it didn't break the trans housing wish it sounds like from the oil leaking it did. Yes it can and will leak in most cases and it does not always break off clean, meaning you can have more pieces left over everywhere. The parts should be available and I suggest you check with one of our sponcers or contact Mark Waite at University Lawn Inc. phone # 1-248-3737220 located in Pontiac Mi. But again you should check with one of our sponcers if you don't plan on trying to get parts in your area. Labor price veries from state to state but parts should be fairly close. The transmission has to be taken apart to change the axle tube and this is an ideal time to check and see what shape the trans is in. Some might think spending the money to fix it isn't worth it but just try to replace your dads tractor and see just how much that will cost. It should be worth fixing $$ wise if the tractor is in decent shape at least I had my 63-64 Landlord fixed years ago and its still going strong. I hope this helps and I also hope others will coment also as everyone has their own opinion's which is good.. Best of Luck to your Dad and what ever he decides to do. >>->happyjack<-<<

Sandy_Lake_Imp
We stock the axle tube. App $120 but I am at home now & don't remember for sure/ Only the right side case needs to be removed after removing the differential asy. We will be doing the same job tomorrow on a customers tractor. 'Bout a 2 1/2 hr job. Replace the axle & brake shaft seals while you're at it. Ph 724-376-2489 8-5 EST for more info or parts.

Thanks for the info guys. Since I havent seen the damage yet I guess that I will have to prepare for the worst. Hopefully it isnt too bad though. He uses this tractor to mow about 3 1/2 acres, so it gets its use.This also brings up another question. Someone has put a 18hp briggs twin in this tractor. Didn't look too hard, they just notched the frame for clearance and cobbled up a connector from the engine to the driveshaft. I rebuilt this engine last summer. Everything was in good shape, so I just honed the cylinders to remove the glaze and rerung it. Now he says that one side is smoking and it is using a lot of oil. Is there a problem with Briggs rings or something that I did? I rebiult the 5hp Briggs on our wood splitter 2 years ago and after a short time it began using a lot of oil. After approx. 20-25 hrs of use I tore it back down and replaced the rings, which were worn away to basicly nothing. Now it is fine. Go figure. So I was wondering if it could be a quality problem as I have heard that briggs contracts out for their parts and they could be made just about anywhere. AdamF

Sounds like you might have the wrong grit on your hone or that you might not be getting it clean enough after the honing. Hot soapy water should be used to remove the particles after an initial cleaning with a solvent such as kerosene. Chrome rings do not require hone or deglazing - they will set themselves and are good up to .005 oversize, overworn, wellworn or welldone!