Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

part missing,help

72ac410

my cover for the points is lost.i have it but don't know where.is there anything i can spray over the points to keep moisture out that it will start when the snow comes.

No there is not anything that you can spray on your points to keep moisture out. The points system is a very delecate system from the stand point that it "times" when the spark is delivered to the spark plug. This system was never designed to be exposed to the elements, thus the points cover is placed over it. I would suggest trying to get a new one from a briggs dealer or perhaps one of the members has a spare that you might borrow or purchase. BTW If you do happen to run the engine in the snow without the points cover; let us know how it works out for you. Good luck, Ryan

well i ran it last week when we had about 2 inches.it did well but i pointed the snow to the right.we put the cover on when we adjusted the points when it didn't run and it wouldn't start.took cover off it started.

I doubt that the points cover is the problem causing the engine not to run. Rather I would suspect a wiring problem where a wire is grounding out causing the engine not to run. I think if you ask anybody they would advise NOT running your engine with the points cover off. That my advise anyway Ryan

It is possible your point cover is pinching a wire or something is routed just slighlty off and grounding to the cover. Not sure what engine you're dealing with, but best case, running with the point cover your on borrowed time before you ground out.. MPH

I've had a couple of cases where the wire would ground out, going through the points cover. Try wrapping some electrical tape around it, where it goes through the cover...

Ive plowed twice with out a point cover on my 3310v. Engine never skiped a beat! Can you still get thouse covers? Mine did have one when I got it. Elon

Would that be a Kohler 10 horse in there. If so, I may have one on a junk block out in the shed. The only problem would be, it would be Cub cadet yellow. May not run as nice as a simplicty if you put that color on.;) Let me know if I can help you. Ken

quote:
Originally posted by nighteye
Would that be a Kohler 10 horse in there. If so, I may have one on a junk block out in the shed. The only problem would be, it would be Cub cadet yellow. May not run as nice as a simplicty if you put that color on.;) Let me know if I can help you. Ken
Did the 3310v come with a Kohler? I kinda thought it was a Briggs. It's been too cold out to give it a good look over. But I do know the carb is just like the one on my 64 Landlord. I know that one is a briggs. Elon

blew snow today and no problem yet.now i think the carb needs cleaned and i may need a new starter for my deutz allis 1918.anyone ever buy a starter for deutz or sunstar.starter is for a 18 hp kohler.