Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
87gmc4x4

tires

Good question, I wanted to do this.... But I was warned that having duals is a concern on the axle. I was told if I use Duals to avoid going over hills at a sharp angle or use the smaller tires. Reason is the sharp angle puts a lot of stress on the axle and will break it. I was shown an example and I'll take that advise. BTW: I just bought a set of 2 link 23x10.5x12 - "v-bar" chains for my tractor, a friend found me this set and has it on his tractor. The only problem is if I am on a paved driveway, I will rip it to shreds. Though this will probably kick but when plowing in ice or on dirt!

wantedinct
I made a quick & dirty set of adapters for my 2210, they work great! im running 23/8.50/12 tires on the tractor, and the duels are 6/12 that i got on e-bay. they make the tractor -much- more stable. here's some pic's of what i did...

10" long carriage bolts 3/4" black pipe, cut to 8 1/2" long and it's 8 3/4" center to center across x I just welded in the x to make it easier to install, i dont think it would hurt not to have it, just tighten them up with a 3/8" air gun. Hope this helps, Eric

Question how do these mount between the rims and how do you mount these on the axle? i.e. Do these long carriage bolts attach directly to the axle? Or do the rims get bolted together through the weight bolt holes?

Ok so how do you add weights? Or are the extra tires enough weight?

HubbardRA
The last time I used this method, I used threaded rod. That way I could let it stick out far enough to add the weights after the wheels were bolted up. Use one set of nuts to bolt the wheels together, then another set to hold on the weights. This way the weights can be removed without taking off the wheels, and you don't need three hands to do the assembly. I also use two nuts on the inner wheel to hold the rods tight and solid while I assemble the second wheel. Each piece of rod will have four nuts on it when everything is assembled with the wheel weight. Double nuts hold it tightly to the inner wheel, a nut holds the outer wheel, and another nut holds the weight. Keep in mind that there are either two or four of these rods, depending on the design of your spacers.