Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Breaking the bead on Garden Tractor tires.

Mike

Mike, 1. Run over the edge of the tire with the family car. 2. Place the tire under the step-bumper of your truck (or some such semimovable object) and place any small jack on the rubber next to the rim and begin cranking. 3. Place a plank (ramp like) on the tire with the upper edge very near the rim. Drive up the ramp. 4. Place tire under snow/dozer/grader blade and apply the hydrolics. 5. Run a chain through center of rim and up the outside and fix in a loop. Place (nearly) any type of jack, old bumper jack works fine, under chain and on rubber and crank. This one needs 2 people or 3 hands. Disclaimer: Some field expedient methods tend to get somewhat dangerous, like heating coffee with C4. A Crazy Scotsman.

Thanks for the tips, they made a little light bulb go off in my mind, I'll let you all know if it works, Mike

To reseat tubeless tire: Have air hose handy.... Spray starting fluid in tire... Stand back and toss lit match at it. Then immediately put the air to it. Or for a quick and free hair cut too, use a lighter instead of match. This did once result in my valve stem disappearing. (don't tell AT&T.. they lost a satellite about then) Seriously, if you try this, use fluid sparingly. Better to use not enough and try again than to get hurt. And put wheel on jacked up tractor to keep it fron jumping at you. I've done it and seen it done hundreds of times on truck tires, I've done it on car tires a few times, and never heard of anything worse than singed hair.. But the potential for injury is there.