Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
williamjordan

B-112 Engine Questions

williamjordan
Hello everyone, I am currently cleaning up my engine for my B-112. It has the original engine in it. I belive 300400 or so. Some one has converted it to the kohler style igintion with the coil. They left the original coil in place and just left the old coil wire hanging there. There is spark there but I dont know if its strong enough. The engine is apart right now. Here are some questions 1. How do you test to see if the coil is good with it off the engine? 2. Could it be a weak magnet on the flywheel? Seems strong to me, it picks up my wrench pretty strong. 3. If the coil is ok, will it work with electronic trigger module instead of points? Is there anything else I should be looking for? I would like to use the original set up. The tractor is all painted and is waiting for the engine. Any advise would be a great help. William Jordan

ReedS
I'll throw out my 2c worth on your questions here in order; 1) I belive that a coil can be checked with an ohmmeter but I'm not positive what measurements would determine a coil good or bad ie; the coil windings have a specific resistance, should not be open or 0 ohms and secondly there should be no continuity between the primary and secondary sides of the coil if memory serves correct also the secondary winding should also have a specific resistance, furthermore a coil can measure good at room temp but be bad at operating temp (due to heat exspansion of the metal components). I believe that there are spec's for the coil somewhere in the brigg's manual although I could be wrong. 2) I don't think that a magnet would go bad but it could have an incorrect polarity if a previous owner tried to change the type of ignition on the engine. Another posibility going along the flywheel theme could be that there was a sheared or partially sheared flwheel key that someone either wanted to ignore or didn't know about it. I'd check the timing of the flywheel and the flywheel key especially since the engine is already out. 3) A points eliminator module should work for you if 1) the coil is ok and of the correct type 2) the flwheel is correctly timed 3) the module is installed correctly. I have seen a few people here that have had better luck with the point style ignition and who will say that they prefer the points to one of the modules. I s'pose I'd fall into that catagory myself, all of my currently running engines use the points with very few problems. I also prefer the mag over the points and powered coil since that requires a batttery and the subsequent charging system that goes with it. Good luck

Bunky
William 1) your local repair shops should have a coil checker they can check the coil with for you... and you might even be able to check it with a Ohm meter like stated above... 2)If the magnet will pick up your wrench I would think it's plenty strong enough to trigger the coil.. 3) There has been plenty of questions asked about using a trigger coil instead of points.. Some get them to work and for myself I haven't found one that seems to work on mine, and if it does work I have been told that you have to get the engine spinning faster with a trigger coil or points replacer to get ti to fire, then you do with the points and condensor...