Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homelites built in South Carolina?

Les

I am updating the history section. Were some of the Homelite models made in the AC plant in South Carolina? This information might be very useful for someone looking for parts. Also, all of you experts should re-read the history section, if you find anything that is not accurate, please let me know. Thanks, Les

Les, I suspect, but don't know for sure that some Homelites WERE made in South Carolina, since I've heard that some parts (like certain shallow decks) will interchange with the AC 300/400 series.... Simplicity certainly wasn't making shallow decks for their brand name in those days.... See these distinctions in the Homelite/Simplicity X-Ref info linked below. If we could find out what parts would potentially interchange, it could open up a whole new source of used parts for the 300/400 series....[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/homelite/H_S_(pg2).htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/homelite/H_S_(pg2).htm[/a]

To all, the way Mark Waite explained the Homelite products was as follows. In or about 1968 Homelite contracted AC to build their tractors. This is where the shallow deck design came into play like the AC 300-400 series tractors. Another fiture that the AC-Homelite tractors had was the electric front pto to which Simplicity didn't offer during these years. Also if you look at the pictures of the AC300-400 series tractors front axle you will see that it is totally different then any of the Simplicity tractors because of the way the mower deck had to be mounted because of the electric front pto. I have a 1971 T-12 Homelite and from looking at pictures from both the site and from Mark's Homelite-AC manuals I can see that the only main diference between the AC and Homelite is the sheet metal. One more thing is AC used Kohler engines and Homelite used Briggs which seemed to be another AC trademark meaning using only Kohler engines during this time frame. The way it was explained to me is that Simplicity did not build any of the Homelite's during this time frame. Mark does know that they were still selling Homelites in 1976 but beleive's they were left over from the 1975 model run. Mark being a AC, Simplicity and Homelite dealer can get parts for all or most of them. Mark somehow x-reference's parts between the 3 blands of tractors because of AC building the Homelite tractors during this time frame and some of the parts being used on all 3 brand tractors. Homelite was know to only out source tractor building for normally 5 years at a time and then would not offer any tractors for a couple of years. In others words Homelite was in and out of the Garden Tractor bussiness. Mark talked to a Homelite Factory Rep. that he knows that is semi-retired now and he concure's with Mark to the best of his knowlege. In or about 1978-80 Homelite bought Jacobson and thus the Red in color Homelite Jacobson line of tractors was formed to where the information seems to end and gets even more confusing at least to me. Please understand that Mark Waite or myself can not be 100% sure about any of this information and that it was given in good faith and mistakes are possible. If anyone can or will come forth to correct or add to this it would be most welcome. Best to All, >>->happyjack<-<<