Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire Studding Tips Anyone??

MPH

Got these new front skins for the Landlord today from Cedar Rapid Tire, postage almost equaled the cost of both tires this time:(, but anyhow, I want to stud them for hardpack snow driveway, anyone ever drilled holes for studs?? Local place I get my tire work done kinda think I'm nuts anyway so I helped them finish making up thier minds when I asked them if they'll shot 'em in..thanks.. MPH Whoops, forgot the picture of these Charlie snow hog coppies.

Hmm, them don't show much.

They look excellent, Marty--very deep lugs. But I have no tips for you, other than I think it IS worth doing. My walk behind snow blower is studded, and it works great. Hopefully someone here can help you out with the "how to's".

It's been quite a few years ago but I remember seeing dirt bike races on the ice here at the lake.I seen many of them putting pan screws into their knobies.

Yes that's all we do with our quads is just screw in some hex headed screws into the knobs.. Boy If my wife found my tires in the kitchen sink she would Choke me... LOL

we used sheet metal screws on three wheelers, worked ok, every once in a while one comes flying out. scratched up the garage floor pretty good, at the time dad was not a happy camper about that.

quote:
Originally posted by Bunky
Boy If my wife found my tires in the kitchen sink she would Choke me... LOL
No sense of humor at your house either?[:0];):D:D

Those are the kind of tires im looking for but i cant find them in a local dealership and i dont really want to order online, The shipping would most likely kill me.

I would use sheet metal screws that have both a hex head and a screwdriver slot. Make sure they are no longer than the depth of tread. Don't use ones that are too short either since they will come out easier. For the screws, I wouldn't pre-drill. Put them in with a drill with an override clutch so that you will not strip them out. You may want to try self-tapping screws. They might go in easier. Also, I would use a fairly large diameter, probably at least a #12.

I used to use sheet metal screws ice racing cars when life in Alaska was still on the wild side of reality. My problem with them on the tractor is I don't want them on my driverway as they don't make flat tires, they ruin tires that pick 'em up. I get enough of them on construction sites. Bill, I here you on shipping, the tires were $14 and some change each and the postal ervice stuck me 23 plus to get 'em here. Been waitting 2 months to get some through a tire shop in Fairbanks though so I just bit the bullet. MPH

Marty, What are those tires? They appear to be sno-hog tires you find on walk behind snowblowers. As for studs, I have heard of people who drill a hole through the tire and then put a sharpened bolt in the hole. You will need to run tubes with this solution. I don't like this solution since you cannot remove the bolts and run the tire without them. Rick.........

im going to participating in an ice lawn mower race this year and soon, i have a set of tires that are all weather checked and cracked along the side but the tread is good. Im going to cut off the tread where the tire is craked to make it so i have a ring of tread, i am then going to put those in side my other tires with a tube and put 3/8 screws in them, and with the extra ring of tread i hopefully wont go into the tube.