Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

"Lucky" Tractor lives in garage

AC917Hydro

Today my little tractor and I were outside having fun.^ We cleared about 25 driveways which all had an average of about 12" of snow on them. I estimate we did about 23,000 square feet or so. Based upon the weight of a shovelful, I estimate the snow was about 12 pounds per cubic foot. With that in mind, the little tractor moved 276,000 pounds, or 138 tons of snow, today.:p So when a grateful neighbour asked me why the Tractor gets the garage and my car stays outside, I boiled it down as above for him. After a second of thought, he reconsidered and agreed that I was the lucky one, not the tractor. :)

Just guessin Jeff charged something for his services Doug, could explain the difference in work done... Nice going Jeff, what kind of 'little tractor' were you using? MPH

Actaully I didn't charge a thing.8D My driveway only took 5 mins (less time than warming up the machine) so I figured I'd do the neighbour(s)while I was at it. Well, I would finish one and I'd feel sorry for the next person so I'd do theirs too. This went on for the entire block. I even had to refuel once! I enjoy it so its not exactly work. I did get a case of beer and a bottle of wine out of the deal though. :p And, heaven forbid, if the tractor should ever break down, I'm sure to find a friend or two, or three, to help out with my laneway. ^ BTW, the tractor is an Allis Chalmers 917 Hydro from 1980. It has been repowered with a Kohler Magnum 18HP. I was using a 42" single stage blower. Sadly,:( it does not have the hydraulic lift so the manual lift was almost like work.

Now thats what I call a good neighbor.Go easy on the juice though you might get roaring to play on your tractor in the middle of the night.(only joking with you) good deed.

THe 917's are nice tractors Ours has the original KT17 engine, hydraulic lift, and the new 42" snowblower:D Nobody around would clear driveways for free

Maxtorman1234, you are only about 2 hours away from me. You don't by any chance have any spare tractors lying around with say ... a hydro lift on 'em do ya? ;) With all my philanthropic snow blowing I am in dire need of one. Oh, and a snow cab too while you're at it! Just kidding. Where did you get all those nice machines? Its a great colletion.:)

THanks, there's one missing from the pictures. My father bought the 917 new in 87' I bought the 416 from Dan, a few months ago, our 310 used to be my uncles, the 712 is in parts to make 2 other tractors run, and im re-building a 410S. I could really use a cab after today too, Im sure glad I dont have to use the manual lift:D. I dont know how i'd live without it:)

You must live near the city or something...if I drove my tractor around the block I would need to take the gas can with me...and thats no work just driving...I too clean out a couple neighbors drives....they sometimes cut my grass while I am gone camping so I guess its a fair trade off...

That is a lot of snow to move. I had the Allis Chalmers 919H with snow blower and hydro lift out yesterday cleaning the drive way and paths. Today I had the Deutz-Allis 916H with snow blower and hydro lift with snow cab out cleaning the snow. My neighbors were out with their farm tractors cleaning their drive ways. And it is already snowing again.:D Karl

quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
You must live near the city or something...if I drove my tractor around the block I would need to take the gas can with me...and thats no work just driving...
That's true for me too... It's a long ways around my block too...8D