Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
DavidG

B10 Transaxle rebuild....need some help

DavidG
Well, The rebuild on my 64 B10 is at the point where there's not much major work left to do but the tranny. I've been putting it off till last as I was pretty intimidated by it. Rebuilt the motor , the BGB, installed a hydro lift, etc, etc, but was afraid to start on the transmission. Last week I finally got over it and tore it down.(wasn't quite as bad as I had figured). I already have the oil seals, needle bearings are on order , should be here in a week. Have all but the big bronze axle tube bearings, they seemed good. What I want to know is.... Is there a suggested way to press in the new bearings?... does it matter what side of the case they are pressed in from? (I haven't pressed the old ones out yet). Several of the bearings have the one side covered , and I have never pressed this style in anything before... Just don't want to damage them. I'm figuring it doesn't matter as long as they are set to the proper depth, but thought I better check. Thanks, Dave

Roy
Bronze bushings tend to crush when pressed in a bore. If not pressed in precisely straight they tend to swell/distort on the ID. I had to hone mine slightly to bring the bore back to shape so the axles would slide in properly when I did mine. My experience.

rjgoth
Just got done rebuilding the transmission on my 66 Landlord 101. For the large bushings that the axle tube goes through I made a plug the same diameter as the axle tube to support the thin bushing on the inside, I then cut a "shoulder" on this plug to press in the bushing with the press. Take it slow, and make sure you get it started square and all should be good. Good luck, Ryan

Rob-B
I know you stated you didn't get new bronze bushings/bearing, but you really should. The cost of them versa taking the transmission out and apart is much worth it. I also thought mine were good and when all the new parts were put in and all the grease was clean out I wound up having one that was bad. Now I have to take it apart all over again. Trust me replace them if your tranny is still apart. Rob

samson
After pulling the axel out I knocked the old bushings out with a piece of wood. When putting new ones in, I slid the axel in first and then slid the bushings over the axel. used wood for all the setting. It seemed to work OK no leaks. I bought the bushings localy here in NC at a bearing shop. They were not very expensive. I'm not a mechanic as you can tell but it works

DavidG
Hey guys , thanks for the input. Actually, when I wrote this I wanted suggestions on the needle bearings , especially the ones that are sealed on one end, but after reading the responses about the axle tube bearings, I figure I better at least take a second look at them. Especially after reading Rob's reply. I sure don't want to take this apart again. Ryan.. Liked your idea about the plug with the shoulder . Think I'll have to try and duplicate that. Dave