Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Preferred Engine?

maxtorman1234

Hi, I'm looking at getting a new(old) engine for my 410S. Im wondering if I should get anothe Kohler, or try an old Briggs. Which engine is better?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maxtorman1234

• rokon2813

• gregc

• Kent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A Briggs would be good. A synchro-balanced Briggs would be better. I think the horizontal synchro-balanced Briggs are 12 HP and above. The 16 HP must be a monster, because the 12 HP will handle plenty of work.

Can't allow this to be one sided ^- I like my Kohler. I have a 712S that had a Kohler K301 which I have replaced with a Kohler K341 and I love it. It took so little to upgrade from 12hp to 16hp that, Me, a novice did it.8D Dan

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Yep, 16 HP Briggs single.... Torque and power to grunt and go on... for a long, long time.
I agree with Kent...I always thought the Briggs started better in the cold too...

I prefer the Briggs single cast irons myself too.:D But since I sell parts of all kinds and this happens to be next on the block ;)

Ok, why do you prefer the briggs better? THe only ones seem to have no power, but they're just verticle aluminum. I myself like the Kohlers better than the briggs I have used, Never had any problems with our KT17, K241, K301,K341 once they are running properly. I;ll try to find a Briggs, but I cant even find a kohler up here. Dan, how much are you looking at for the magnum 18? THanks

The cast-iron Briggs are very forgiving of wear, carb settings and tuning -- they just seem to run and run, because of that... when needed, parts are also easy to find and affordable. IMO, their longer stroke also provides more torque, especially at lower RPMs. Kohlers are hotrods, in comparison, with good high-end horsepower. I'd use this analogy, if you know outboard motors -- Briggs is like a Johnson/Evinrude, while Kohler is like a Mercury....

I don't really know much about engines, but I think that from the small machines and lawn/garden tractors that I have run that I like the Briggs better. Though any engine will have a certain value to an owner depending on his beliefs. If taken care of any engine will do it's job for you.

I agree with Kent on the CI Briggs' engines. Easy to maintain, parts are reasonable and not a whole bunch of special tools required. I have an 18 IC HP horizontal twin, an 8 horizontal IC and 10 HP horizontal CI in the spares dept. I have had a phobia about having 16 HP 32 CID engine and a few years ago aquired a complete Yazoo mower just to get the engine. That came pretty resonable and the engine still had the original cross-hatch marks in the bore. It came with a cracked head. My second choice only because of parts being reasonable is Tecumseh. They did not however use the K-I-S-S (Keep It Simple Stupid)marketing method. To get their market share, they would make anything (Sears) that was asked of them. They do still command the lions share of walk behind 4 cycle engine powered snow blowers. Next comes the CH 20 Kohler. I have this on my Sunstar I bought last year. HM has 1500 hours on it. Engine is cold blooded but after it warms up, a go getter. I had a pesky oil leak and traced to the composite valve covers. Compression good and does not blow any blue smoke out exhaust. Last and I never work on them is Honda, Kawasaki, Robin and anything else that comes from Japan. Their marketing methods are 'don't lose that sale' which means they will match or sell for less their product to populate a market area. Then comes the sticker shock, the cost of aftermarket parts and no service info to purchase. They want that and can have it, I still have a lifetime inventory of Lawnboys to use up. That goes for the Simps, I will always find something to stay away from the Hondas and likewise.

I also vote for Briggs & Stratton engine with the cast iron block. They are very good engines and last forever.^ Out of 20 Simplicity,Allis Chalmers,Deutz-Allis garden tractors,only 5 have Kohler engines.;) The rest have Briggs & Stratton engines.These old Briggs & Stratton engines are easy to find. Karl

I've got to say I would go with a kohler if for originality when restoring, but for operating I'd take a cast iron briggs over the kohler. I have had plently of power out of my ten horse brigss in the B110.

Kohler for Kohler swap will be a little easier because of the throttle and choke cables and the wiring. I like both. A good combination is an older Briggs with a Kohler (battery) ignition system or a briggs trigger module. Starts much easier that way. I agree with the statement of a Briggs starting easier when cold than Kohler. I also agree with the single cylinder preference. It has been my experience that Kohlers needs less fiddling with the ignition system than the older Briggs to keep them running good. I also prefer the Kohler charging system to the older Briggs starter/generator and regulator that is hard to get to. Bottom line, I don't think you'll go wrong with either. Most of the Briggs posts appear to me to be from guys who have owned soley or at least mostly Briggs and haven't given the Kohlers much of a chance. If it were me though, I'd probably try to install another Kohler to keep it closer to original and make the swap easier. Brent