Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower pulley came off - 712S

SMahler

I have been enjoying the performance of my 712S with snowblower with the endless snow we have been getting in Upstate NY. Until last night, when the stationary pulley on the right side (not the one that swivels) came completely off it's mount. Needless to say I had to switch back to the blade:( It looks like the pulley had a bearing race that is now gone, as the diameter of the remaining center hole is bigger than the hub that it rotated on. Is this a normal failure? I am headed to my simplicity dealer over lunch - would like any and all comments. Mucho snow predicted all week, hoping to get back to blowing before the weekend! Thanks

Yes it has a bearing in it. Yes they go bad. No there is no way to grease it. you might try to put a few drops of oil on it once in a while. yes it is normal, things do wear out,but does not happen that often. It lives in a rough environment, close to the ground dirt getting on it snow and ice melting on it etc. I think I have replaced 3 in in 30 years. There is no telling when one will decide to go south on you. Up until 3 years ago my normal time spent blowing snow was 4 to 6 hours for any storm and I could be blowing for three hours when the blower would stop turning, back up and there on the ground would be lying the pulley minus its center.

Steve, Maynard, et al; Actually, if we are talking about those pesky stamped steel idlers (used on just about everyting) with double sealed ball bearings, you can do periodic maintenance-lubrication on them; GREATLY EXTENDING their life. See the picture below of a a Zerk fitting/needle adapter. Personally, I use a very high grade of synthetic grease such as Red Line. I got my adapter at Pep Boys. Be very careful about slipping the sharp point into the inner race/seal. Have the needle's bevel edge facing the the inner race carefully sliding it in so as not to cut the seal's lip. If the bearing is terribly worn out or the seal is damaged/leaking; this will all be in vain. Check the link below for a picture. http://automotive.aubuchonhardware.com/engine_lubricants_and_additives/grease_guns/grease_injector_needle-573150.asp Regards, Tom (PK)

I keep a spare, one "v" and one flat idler, on the shelf. Those 2 cover my pto, blower, and mower deck. You know they only come apart when 15 minutes into a 2 hour job!

Thank you as always for your help! The best part about this great tractor is the support.....my dealer had the part on the shelf....gotta love it. Things were a bit stiff in the freezing garage, so it took me about a 1/2 hour to get it back together, and blow blow blow. Very happy with the result! I am not exaggerating - we had drifts higher than the hood of the 712. Half bites, very slow - love the shuttle tranny for this use. Lots of back and forward. No better feeling than walking back to the house and seeing than nice neat driveway. Anyhow, thanks again - snowing hard now - 12 inches predicted by tomorrow.:D