Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC312H That doesn't like to back up

What happened to me was that the set screw on the hydro lever got loose. There was enough bite to work sometimes, but enough slop that i couldn't get very good control of the speed. To stop, I had to move the lever to the opposite direction, then back to neutral.

Can anyone tell me the correct way to adjust the hydro shift linkage on my 312H. I got some info from the local library, but kind of vague. I have a hard time finding neutral (very touchey) and reverse works sometimes great and sometimes not at all. It seems if I pull it into reverse hard it helps. Also is there such a thing as a vacuum for this tractor. A buddy and me have been designing one to run off the pto pulley and idler setup from my rototiller and have it blow into a wagon. He suggests trying to get a different blade like he has on his JD that has a higher back lift to blow it out to the vacuum better. Anyone with any thoughts would be great.

Hi, Check for play in all of the linkage. We have had to drill out the lever under the frame and the rod going back to the transmission and put a larger pin in. Also check the link at the transmission, the one with the double ball joints on it, this is a common source of slack. Good luck, Al

What are you using for a vac fan and hose/tubing diameter? Fan speed and any leakage points would be a concern. The original vacs used the standard blades.

For a vac fan we were just going to use a disc with 6 paddles on it (that is all the JD one uses). I don't know what size of tubing to run yet, that is why I was hoping someone had already done something like this. My bigger concern is fabing up the fan housing. Oh well experimentation is always good.