Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric Lift Question!! ???

RalphABlack

Would like to know if an elect. lift could freeze-up from the cold? ... Was today snow blowing my driveway and the stupid thing just stoped workin. It did this before and I got under it and wiggled the wires and it worked. Finnished doin the driveway with no problem. Now today it did it again and I wiggled the wires and NOTHING!!![V][V][V].Can anyone help me????:( I'm about ready to yank the thing off and put the lift lever back on it, and sell the thing on Ebay along with the other motor and actuator

I live in Minnesota. Sometimes it reaches -30 degress. Often it is -10 degrees. I have an electric lift and haven't had any problems with it. Sounds like a loose connection, bad ground, short or some electric problem. Those electric lifts are pretty hardy. They are often available on ebay. This makes me think that the tractor died before the lift died.

Does the lift run soly off the battery? And if so I guess I should check to see if the battery is up or not. I thought and I could be wrong....that the engine would charge the battery if it is running.....but I could be wrong...(have been wrong from time to time)..LOL!!

Ralph before you put that on ebay let me know and I'll be glad to purchase it. Those armstong lifts are good for building up the arm muscles and the lower back you know, another good reason to get rid of that crummy electric lift. (_8^(I)

Just so happens there's an electric lift on eBay at the moment... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2376620980&category=50372. Not sure it's identical to yours and it's not cheap. It'd sure be worth your time circuit testing yours. I've never had trouble with my electric lift, xcept it's so doggone slow.

Ditto on the electrical problem! I purchased a used electric lift in November. The first few times I used it, no problem. For no apparent reason at all, It stopped working.:( I looked under the tractor, and all looked well. I disconnected, then reconnected the connections to the motor, and it worked fine. Once at home, I soldered on new connectors to new wires. No problem since!:D

If it doesn't work at all, ie, no sound or anything get the tester out and trace the path of power. If it's just slow or the slip clutch just clicks in either direction and temp. is the culpret then pull the moter off and see if water has built up in the tube. This shoulden't be the case but something could have blocked the drain hole and it collected water over a peried of time. Also old thick, dry grease could load the tube so the slipclutch kicks in till it worms up. In either case a good cleaning and servising sounds in order while you find the problem.

I would like to thank everyone for their in-put and helpful info. I went out to the shed today after work and tried to start the tractor. Guess what??? It barely turned over. So I put the battery charger on it for about 2 hours on slow charge. Went back out to see if it would start, and it did!!! So just for "kicks and giggles" I tried the elec. lift. You know what!!!!!!!!! It worked!!!!! Looks like for now anyways the lift isn't goin on Ebay. Sorry guys! Thanks again everyone!!......Ralph