Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler driving me nuts!

Les

Trying to mow grass with my 12 hp 301 Kohler. The thing runs for a while then starts to lose power, then quits. I have cleaned the carb out several times, added carb cleaner to the gas, had trouble all winter blowing snow. Let it set awhile and it runs fine. What could be the problem??? Think its that fuel pump thing? I am almost ready to pop the Briggs out of the other tractor(with the bad bevel box) and put it in. Anybody got a Briggs for sale?

You might get a light and check to see if the fuel outlet in your tank has a screen on it. Also your cap may have a blocked air vent. Good luck Ken.T.

HI LES, IT ALSO COULD BE CARB FLOAT, OR POINTS NOT SET RIGHT. MY BRIGGS GAVE ME A FIT TODAY WHILE MOWING, COLD IT RAN FINE THEN WHEN IT GOT WARMED UP IT WOULD SPIT AND SPUTTER. I CLEANED CARB, NO LUCK THEN I ADJUSTED THE POINTS WHILE IT WAS RUNNING AND IT FIXED THE PROBLEM. I'VE ALSO SEEN THAT IF AN ENGINE IS BORED IT COULD COME OUT EGGED SHAPED, RUN A WHILE THEN DIE LET IT COOL AND RUN A WHILE AGAIN. JUST SOME THOUGHTS TO HELP OUT. I FEEL THE OPPOSIT, I'M READY TO CHUCK THE BRIGGS AND INSTALL A KOHLER. HOPE YOU FIGURE IT OUT. MOW ON. STEVE

You can pull the fuel line off when it stops and see if the pump is moving the fuel by turning the engine over. If its not a fuel problem that leaves the ignition condensor/coil (which I think you checked before?), a valve hanging (suspect intake - I think you said plug was dry?) or maybe even a piece of carbon floating around and shorting the spark plug - usually you will see it bridge between the electrodes though.

Thanks for the help guys. I took the connections off the coil and cleaned them, It ran long enough to finish mowing the lawn, so maybe the coil is getting weak? Do you have to buy new or might a used one work?

The promblem is that your coil is bad and it is usually on the side that the carbarator is on and it is usually external.

Burn the damn Kohler. I hate them engines and would burn any that I see. Kawasaki and briggs are better.