Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Leroy

Syncro-shuttle ,Gear or Hydro,?

wasmeneh
Depends on what your going to use it for. If you have a lot of turns and stopping and starting I think hydros the way to go. I've got two hydros and one gear. For mowing I really prefer hydro. Mike

papamerkle
I have 2 hydros and 4 gearboxes. Pulling a roller,aerator,ect- I pefer a gearbox-hydros slow down/rob horsepower. Pushing snow-hydro are great if you have hydrolic lift:). I have a hydro and a gearbox tractor with blades on them and a gearbox with a snowthrower on it. I mow grass with both. I had more problems with hydros.:(:(

maxtorman1234
Thats strange, I've never had any troubles with hydros. Gears to me, are just a pain. Not really any adjustments on the hydros, just keep the fluid up. Only bad hydros are the vickers, other than the leaks they're great

BLT
If you put your mind to it, anything will work. If you want the creature comforts, HYDRO, ELECTRIC CLUTCHING, DRIVESHAFTS and HYDRAULIC ASSIST. You just have to put everything in perspective.

Leroy
Is the shuttle like a gear type without the clutch? I didn't get any implements for my 7117 The mower, was not impeaded by the hydro. Climbing a little hill was kinda of dicey though. Im thinking a gear type would get up the hill without whining or stalling the tranny. Im sure the Hydro is less work or trouble for the user. Maintenance on the other hand maybe more troublesome on the gear type. Clutches and all. however tilling up a hill with a hydro may be a loosing proposition. tilling downhill is the way to go fer sure. There are times when going up hill with a load is necessary. Is the gear type best for that or Shuttle? or Hydro?

HubbardRA
I have a 3-speed, a hydro, and a shuttle. I like them all and usually pair the tractor to the task that I am doing. I would say that the hydro is the easiest to use and more versatile, but I like the more constant speed of the gear drives for some tasks.

ambler
On a shuttle you chose the ground speed gear (1-2-3-4) by clutching. and you can switch from forward, to neutral, to reverse on a column shifter without clutching. Ground speed is less than hydro.

D-17_Dave
On the shuttles even though you don't use the clutch peddle when reversing, you still load and unload a belt and a brakeband. Fine for steady work but wear problems with extended use or heavy loads. As foe the hydro, I don't understand the hill climbing problems. My hydro is top notch, in power and responce. I'll never use anything else. also I have wide/ shallow cleats on the rear and 125 pound tractor weights on each tire. Works the hills just great. Also pull dead cars in and out of the shop with it on loose gravel drive. Thing pulls like crazy. My money is on the hydro's anyday. Sorry, kinda got carried away there. Gotta get me a dig. cam. so I can show this thing off.

DaveM
I prefer my hydro, but there are also some advantages to the variable speed drive on my 310. The main advantage being the constant steady speed when spreading fertilizer on the lawn or aeriating the lawn. With the hydro, if I happen to back up or change speeds for some reason, I cannot guarantee that I will again obtain the exact same speed that I was going. This can result in uneven fertilizer distribution. The variable stays the same and is still adjustable. DaveM

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by Leroy
Is the shuttle clutch free?
A shuttle tractor has a clutch, but it is not needed for changing gears. IF the shuttle linkage is properly adjusted gears can be changed without using the clutch by placing the shuttle lever in neutral. So says the OM, and I can confirm that from personal experience.

Allis_B12
Gear trannys can be used as a hydro, by riding the clutch. They also don't overheat easily, and it's easy to lock the transmissions to keep the tractors from rolling away. Having a gear transmission is also good if you use one gear for a long time. Hydros are good if you need to vary forward speed frequently, like for mowing. I've never tried a Simplicity shuttle.

MikeES
Like Bunky, I have all the transmissions, they all have their strong points, except the hydro...it works for all applications and is the most efficient at getting work done. If I had only one tractor it would HAVE to be a HYDRO.

Leroy
If i understand this right. To change gears without using a clutch on a properly adjusted Shuttle means to move the shuttle to neutral then to the prefered range? Or is there two shifters for the shuttle. My idea of a shuttle is like a normal gear type omitting the clutch that by design would drop the power to slow the driven members down to a shiftable speed. Without using a shuttle's clutch would seem to rely heavily on the syncros.

Dutch
Leroy, There are 2 levers on a shuttle. One lever is on the "console" just like those on 3 speed transmissions. Instead of having 3 forward and 1 reverse gear, shuttles have 4 gears that work in both forward and reverse. The second lever is on the right side just like a hydro. Move that lever forward and you go forward in whatever gear you selected. Move that lever back and you go backwards in whatever gear you selected. The reversing in done with a planetary gear assembly (similar to a diffrential) and a band (similar to a brake band). I don't know of any syncros used.

Gary
Can't say much about Hydros from personal experience. Seems like everyone has covered all of the pros and cons. The few that I have operated have worked fine, and been real handy at changing direction. Having said that, I'll take my 6 speed. It's served me well since 1977. I've got my Hi-Lo linkage adjusted so that you don't have to come to a stop for Hi or Lo. Gear shifting from 1st to 2nd can be accomplished without coming to a stop (no gear stripping). I've seen repair bills from work done on hydros...scaary! It wouldn't bother me to have a Hydro. I just don't think they are that big of a deal...unless you need hydraulics.

Leroy
quote:
Originally posted by dutch
Leroy, There are 2 levers on a shuttle. One lever is on the "console" just like those on 3 speed transmissions. Instead of having 3 forward and 1 reverse gear, shuttles have 4 gears that work in both forward and reverse. The second lever is on the right side just like a hydro. Move that lever forward and you go forward in whatever gear you selected. Move that lever back and you go backwards in whatever gear you selected. The reversing in done with a planetary gear assembly (similar to a diffrential) and a band (similar to a brake band). I don't know of any syncros used.
So the trouble free prize would go to the Shuttle?

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by Leroy
So the trouble free prize would go to the Shuttle?
I don't think the shuttle is less likely to give trouble than any other setup. Shuttles have more parts than other setups, so there is more that can go wrong. Shuttles are more prone to owner neglect and operator abuse. Some shuttle parts are no longer available. Other shuttle parts are expensive. I like my shuttle for one specific task... Dozing. I prefer my 6 speed for other tasks. But if I could have only one tractor, it would be a hydro.