Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

stevenj

Solid Rear Lift Rod Measurement Needed

stevenj
I picked up a rear tiller lift assembly for my B210 from E-Bay and it arrived today. I also got the solid rear lift rod. I did an eyeball check tonight and it appears that the lift rod is too short. I remember reading that the B210 had a longer wheelbase than the prior model year tractors, so I'm guessing that I have a lift rod from an earlier tractor with a shorter wheelbase. I'll be able to fabricate what I need with a straight section of 1/2" CR rod and a couple of 1/2" clevises, but I'd like to know the dimensions of the correct lift rod. Does someone have a solid lift rod for a B210/3210V that you could measure and give me the center to center distance between the clevis mounting holes and the 90 degree bend on the opposite end? Thanks.

BLT
37-1/2" end to end is the long one (I made spares) and I think the short one is roughly an 1-1/2" shorter. Give attention to the formed end. It needs to be formed so everything is inline with the rear lift arm.

Kent
I've found it's a lot easier to just thread it and use a clevis on each end, rather trying to form a bend that will stay shaped, especially in the soft rods you typically get at the hardward store.... Then, it's also easy to adjust the length to exactly what you want, since you'll have about 2" of threads on each end to adjust it with...

stevenj
Kent, That's exactly what I plan to do. After looking at the orientation of the formed end, the straight section of the rod is directly in line with the rear lift. Simplicity used a formed end because it would be less expensive than threading and using another clevis and pin. I just wanted an idea of the OEM length to start with so I can cut and thread the rod once. Having never used a rear lift, I'm not sure where the rear lift is supposed to be positioned when the lift lever is in the full up position. The rod I have measures 33.75" from end to end. BLT gave a measurement of 37.5" for a difference of 3.75". I should be all set unless someone else provides a different measurement. Thanks! Steve