Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Balky starter

qtown7116H

My 7116H has, all of a sudden, started to get finicky when I try and start it. Seems like the switch is bad. If it doesn't go on the first crank, then the starter won't engage at all...no solenoid action, no nothing. Nothing on the ammeter, either. If I hold the key in the start position and bump it around a little, after a few seconds the starter will jump, and I'll think I've got it, but then nothing. I found a local guy with a switch for around 12 bucks. Should I just go for it? Or could it be something else?

Before you buy, figure out which wires activate the starter on the switch and use a jumper between them, if it works every time with the jumper, then a new switch should be a good investment. MPH

There's no juice at all when the ignition switch is acting up...I don't think it's the starter. No activity on the ammeter, no lights, nothing. And the battery is fully charged. I checked all the safety switches, and I'm going to pull the starter switch out and check it out. The switch feels kinda "rubbery" inside when you turn the key, like it's worn out.

Thermal cutout?? Tell me more. If I went out there right now, it wouldn't turn over. That leads me to believe it's not a thermal or heat thing. I thought perhaps it was a bad solenoid, as well, but I'm open to suggestions.

The absolute first thing to do is check your ground points on the engine and frame be sure they are clean and have good contact. Next check the positive cable for good contact at it's connections. Then check connections on switch. Your symptoms are the first indication of bad or corroded connections.

Well, I grabbed the multimeter and checked the resistance on all the switch terminals, and it looks like the switch is indeed gone. My local AA dealer has a switch in stock for 12 bucks!! And he's open until 8:00 PM....hopefuuly this is the end, and I won't have to let the neighbor and his "power shovel" get all the press.