Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dogboy

Bad coil?

FrankP
I had the NO SPARK problem twice. Both times it came down to loose wires. Both times I went throuth the process of changing out parts. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22848 Frank

dogboy
Thanks Frank,i just went thru the whole thing again,still no spark,no way that ii know of to test the coil,but now i'm thinking its the lead wire or the coil,which are one piece,so i guess i'll try to find a new one.

RedbarnRick
Mike, I have had this problems on several oocasions and it's almost always the condenser (I keep a number on hand) I have had the wire from the armiture rub thru at the points cover and heat shrink fixed that, the kill wire mounted on the cover broke loose and had to fashion a new mounting block from plastic for that. I have had to remove rust on the flywheel and reset the air gap a few times but eventually the spark came on strong, these old motors just keep chuggin along.

RenegadeJ
Had the same problem with my 3112V. Ran fine one day and the next day no spark. That was about 5 years ago. Turned out to be the coil went bad. Ordered new coil and that solved the problem. If it happens again I won't hesitate to convert to auto coil type ignition. If I remember correctly the replacement coil wasn't cheap. Don't know if they are still available.

10HorseMan
The armetures do not usually just go bad, but on my B-110 last week, when I had first tried to till with it the engine missed and acted crazy, so the points are unhooked, the armeture can be hooked directly to the plug, The points keep the engine from firing every time the engine completes the rotation, unhooking the points and hooking the armeture directly makes the engine fire every time, this elimianates any problems with the points. Hope this helps :)

dogboy
Thanks Justin,but i really don't understand how i could disconnect the points,the coil is already hooked to the plug,its that wire i suspect to be bad,and its all one piece.really need this thing up and running this week thanks.

Agricola
Can't one do a resistance check on the coil? There should be specs somewhere that will tell you what the range should be. I would guess a 4Kohm would be reasonable. How about a website to give you some ideas.... http://iaa.umd.edu/walls/INAG207/Ignition/Ignitionsteps.html

dogboy
I just "borrowed" a coil from a very old iron Briggs,no idea the HP rating on this one --its marked "5-s" the rest of the numbers don't work on the Briggs site.if this works for a while i'll be happy but i'm not gonna junk this if i can help it,raining to hard to test it right now