Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hitches

comet66

Could someone please explain to me the differences between hitches? My 1920H, and my 916, have similar hitches on them. Two pins on the bottom for a pivot, and a sleeve on top for the lift rod. The lift on the 1920 being centered with the pivots, and the one on the 916 being off to the port side. I have also owned a couple of farm and industrial tractors with 3-point hitches on them. Now to my confusion. The hitch on my garden tractors I have seen refered to as both sleeve and 3-point. My reference to 3-point is obviosly different than this, and I have seen impliments claiming to be "sleeve hitch" that apear to require only one pin through the hitch to connect them. So if you could please explain the different hitch terminology to a newbe it would be greatly apreciated. Thanks John

John, there are real 3pt hitches on some garden tractors, normally a cat 0 til you get to the compacts. Some people don't know the difference I guess and refer to the sleeve hitch as a 3pt because there are 3 points of conection. Not sure what impliments you have seen that require one pin to hook up, have looked at some of the box store junk sleeve hitches but they never have them outta the box up here and appear to be a lotta junk I don't need for my old B series so I waste little time there. Can you post pics of any of the impl.?? MPH

The hitch on your tractor is neither sleeve nor 3 point. People just dont know. What you refer to as 3 point on the large farm tractors is 3 point. What your talking about with a single pin is sleeve hitch. That is what you will find on Brinley attachments for example. I dont know what Simplicity's true term is for the rear lift but most guys here call it the rear lift "tube" or just rear lift.

MPH For lack of a better picture I will use this one. This is the basic configuration of the hitches on my tractors. Except this is manual and mine are power. I have seen this refered to at various times as both Sleeve and 3-point. [img]/club2/attach/comet66/hitch.jpg[/img] This is a Mold Board Plow from e-bay that is claimed to be a Sleeve hitch This apears to me to take just one pin through the hitch and probably a sleeve of some sort. [img]/club2/attach/comet66/plow.jpg[/img] This is a rear blade that would apear to go on one of my hitches (a blade I would be interested in buying if any one has one laying around). [img]/club2/attach/comet66/rearblade2.jpg[/img] What would be the proper name of each of these types of hitches? Totaly confused ?? John

John The top picture is called the rear lift & hitch group. The part that pivots is the rear lift the other brackets are the hitch group. This is a one point hitch aka sleave hitch This is needed to use the moldboard plow. The main parts of which are still available from a dealer for around $110.00

you can not order it as a complete unit one part #. Here are the part #s to order. 1ea part # 1675373 clevis assy. $65.70 1ea part # 1716179 pin hitch $17.75 1ea part # 154304 yoke $7.00 1ea part # 1603816 plate stabilizer $8.85 1ea part # 1604349 lift rod 10.20 you will also need if you want every thing new. 4ea part # 176012 spring clips (Quick pins) 3ea part # 155037 attaching pins 2ea 5/8" x 11 x 2½" bolts and nuts 1 cotter pin 1 paid $109.50 for the five main parts. My dealer threw in the bolts,nuts,pins,sping clips and cotter pin. Alot cheaper than $156.00 plus shipping on ebay. This is a diagram for makeing one

The back blade in the bottom picture appears to have been modified by some one to use on the rear lift and hitch of A Simplicity or Allis (real nice job I might say) as in all of my books and manuals I have on my computer I have (over 700) I have never seen one listed.

Thanks everybody. It's a little clearer now. UCD the exploded view was the clencher. I think I got it now Thanks again John^