Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Terry_Hart

Snow Blower Belt

Terry_Hart
I just mounted the blower on my AC 716H. I got the new single pulley hitch from the dealer. It came with the new belt, that is about 6" too long. The belt the came with it is #1666798. Does anyone know the correct belt for this application?

Karl_Brandt
quote:
My 712 used to have a manual clutch on the front, infact, I still have it, and im almost positive all the 700's were driven of the front PTO
The early AC 900 series also used the front PTO. My 1981 AC 919H has the front PTO. The later 900 series had mid PTO. Karl

Karl_Brandt
Here is a picture of belt set up for the single pulley. The simplicity belt part number 1666798 is the correct belt. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/karl_brandt/snowbelt1.jpg[/img] Karl

UCD
My belt and blade book says the 716H takes belt# 174224 66.1" long type HA The 716H should use a 2 pully hitch with a manual or electric clutch mounted on the front of the motor. The single pulley hitch and cone clutch did not get used untill the 7100 and 900 series the early models used the 2 pulley front clutch Your dealer should check his books again and refund your money he ordered the wrong parts.

Terry_Hart
Thanks for the info. I still have the 2 pulley hitch from my old 3210. That has the manual clutch on one pulley. Think I can use the old belt too? I guess what I need now is the pulley for the front shaft on the motor?

Dutch
Terry, If you want to save yourself some grief, take the time to investigate how snowthrowers are driven on the different model tractors. Decide what is best for your application. Cost and availability of components should be carefully planned and considered. There is more than one way to "skin a cat," but one change from OEM most likely will require other changes. I have travelled the snowthrower road and know some of the pitfalls. Pulley sizes and ratios must be considered. Even idler pulley sizes can affect belt tracking. Your goal must be to have a flawless transmission of power through the belt(s). Let us know which road you want to take (front PTO, center PTO, mechanical / electric clutch, over center clutch, long belt, short belt) and I'm sure we will share our experiences.

Terry_Hart
Dutch, Thanks for the advice. I found a Wheel Horse belt that runs from the center PTO. There are two tabs on the idler pulley, one slightly angled for the mower, and the lower one tracks straighter. I installed it tonight and it seems to work fine. Not sure I like the long belt. However it tracks pretty smooth. Will have to wait for the next storm to see. I plan to get a spare belt tomorrow. Will let you know the dimension and # if anyone is interested.

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by Terry_Hart
Dutch, Thanks for the advice. I found a Wheel Horse belt that runs from the center PTO. There are two tabs on the idler pulley, one slightly angled for the mower, and the lower one tracks straighter. I installed it tonight and it seems to work fine. Not sure I like the long belt. However it tracks pretty smooth. Will have to wait for the next storm to see. I plan to get a spare belt tomorrow. Will let you know the dimension and # if anyone is interested.
The center PTO idler setup you described is what was used on the later model 900 series. It sounds like the previous owner already modified your 716. Is the second center PTO idler pulley mounted on a bracket located on the tractor frame? The long belt does seems odd, but they work great. Spare belts are always a good idea.

maxtorman1234
quote:
The center PTO idler setup you described is what was used on the later model 900 series. It sounds like the previous owner already modified your 716.
My 712 Was the the same way, the two pullys were on the same assembly, and the 917 has one mounted on the frame. I think his setup may be original.

Gary
Terry, The correct belt is P/N 1678241, 139" long. P/N 166798, is 147" long, and used on the 7100 and 900 Series Tractors.;) My 710 6-Speed runs off of the mower PTO. Blower hitch has 1 idler pulley. This setup has not been altered, modified, etc. It is the stock setup. Correct belt P/N is 1678241!!:D P.S. This setup works great! I've used it all winter...blowin snow, ice, air...no blown belts! I also release the tension on the belt when it's parked in the garage...saves stretching the belt!