Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RedbarnRick

Dang BGB rings

RedbarnRick
I am going to rebuild my bevel gear box for the third time (last time I reused the old gears and one had a chip in it it now sounds terrible)I read all the posts on rebuilding the BGB and it is very good advice, but I see two things that were not addressesd in the articles. 1. Is there a special tool for removing the rings from the shaft, this is the one part of the rebuild that is sure to get me cussin' all the snap ring pliers I have don't work and I usually use the smallest flat blade screwdriver and great care to get them out of the groove, (a real pain in the posterior)2. Are the shim packs still available? My number is 171790 it seems to be an outdated number. I know you guys are going to admonish me for using the old gears but go ahead heap it on I can take it!

maxtorman1234
I've had to work on several bgb's, always re-used the old gears. I have a whole bunch of shims around here, basically because i never put them back in, but I've never had problmes without them. WHich shaft are the rings on?

RedbarnRick
Max and Charby,the ring are on the driven shaft in three places, with one outside the gearbox for the cone clutch, I have lock ring pliers(craftsman)but they dont work on these rings, what did you use Charby, I would even buy a snap-on set if I knew they would work for sure, a good tool always pays for itself.

RedbarnRick
Unless I've been doing it wrong all these years the answer is yes, now all my experiece is on a 3416h BGB but I just recently purchased another on from a 3110 and it seems to be the same. I totally dissasemble and inspect all parts when I do it, and the first time I did this gearbox i had to replace the shaft with the threaded end on the cone clutch side witha new shaft that had a tapped end. I see myself taking some photo's this time and a lot of posting in the future. Maynard is shuddering right now at that thought. (8^(I)

charby5
I use a lock ring pliers to get all the lock rings off the shafts. snap ring pliers wont work..theres a differance between the two..heres a link too see the differance ..mine are SK. the fourth one down ..has a wide tip and strong..never had any of the lock rings on any of the simp/ac give me any trouble with these...hope this helps.. http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/sk03191.html Marc

ka9bxg
I have a Mac set besides the snap-on (like the SK) the tips are a little smaller so they fit better but still have problems with them.Will use the screw driver and picks to get them off.good luck.Bob

RedbarnRick
Yep, mine are like the third ones I am going to order a pair of the fourth one tommorow. thanks Charby show what a wealth of knowledge is in this club, Man I love you guys, can I have your Bud lite?

UCD
those rings are called snap rings no eye hole or lip to get hold of retaining or lock rings have an eye hole in them to insert the tool snap ring plyers have flat tips like two screwdrivers together to slip inbetween the ends of the rings and spread them apart with a small lip or notch in them so the ring doesn't slip as easy. Some have a ratchet lock to lock them in place open so that you can slide the ring off from the shaft easier.

dhardin
I use the snap ring pliers to only get the ring started. Slightly open the ring then slide a very small screw driver in the opening on the oppsite side of the ring/pliers grip. Once its open and started off the groove is all I could ever ask form the snap ring pliers. Them work the ring out of the grove compleetly, it will slide off the shaft with the gears. Oil on the shaft helps it at this point also. Trying to open the ring enought to get it off with the pliers alone will only cause your blood pressure to rise. As well as puting the the ring back on, just slide it on the end of the shaft with your fingers and small screw drivr. Here is where you will find the plies will not do much good but to shoot it across the room. Done that been there. It's spring steel yes, but will break if over opened or, A ring that has been over opend with a pliers will not stay in the groove after you reassemble the unit. I really recommend the right amount of shims at all cost. Get it right now you will never have to do it again for a long time. Good luck. Dhardin