Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Serf 515

EricD

For the life of me I can't get the pics to upload in the posts... Anyway, can someone give me an idea of what my Serf 515 (pictured in my Gallery) might be valued at? It has a newer 5hp and is in very nice condition (decent re-paint job, good deck etc..) Thanks in advance. I'll try to post again..

That hood ornimant looks like a handle. Is that so you can pick it up and put it on the shelf when your done? Just kiddin, Looks swell.

Nice work. Cant help you on the price, ive seen them go from 35 bucks to 250. On a side note, I personally think the smaller simps and allis are the best deal to be had for a regular guy looking to mow some grass. Ive mowed two seasons with a 60 dollar yoeman that cuts perfect. Ive worked out a few very minor bugs and its now a-1. What kind of mower will you get at home depot that is made as heavy, and will last as long. As long as its under a half acre I think theyre the cats meow. Especially if your on a tight budget.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
That hood ornimant looks like a handle. Is that so you can pick it up and put it on the shelf when your done? Just kiddin, Looks swell.
That's a good one... And it is a good looking unit....:D:D

By the way, is that HANDLE original? Or is it something you've added. I had a 515 pass through my shed awhile back and I don't remember any ornament.

Nice Serf. Is that the original seat cover, it looks like new. I really like my Serf, and use it all the time around my apple trees. They are fun machines and cut well.

Basically this is the condition I found her in. She needed a replacement guide pully to stop some squealing. The seat has at least been recovered if not altogether a replacement. The repaint job is not perfect but all of the original stickers are clearly visible. I'm guessing that the hood handle is like the grab bar in jeeps that keeps you from falling out of your seat during fast cornering:o) Is this missing something that is either painted or a sticker that goes on the front grill?

I wondered about the grille too...kinda looks plain..I bet there is supposed to be something on it...I have only see one of those little Serfs and it was incomplete at a salvage yard...I too would like to get one someday just to add to the collection

The grill should have a black vinly sticker with a red S. I looks just like the Yeomans and Broadmoors of the same vintage. The hood handle isn't original but there should be a stripe I believe although mine doesn't have one, I think the hood was repainted at some time.

Eric the handle looks more like it came off the bow of a boat than the grab handle of a Jeep. I had Jeeps for many years and haven't seen an original with one like that!:p

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
By the way, is that HANDLE original? Or is it something you've added. I had a 515 pass through my shed awhile back and I don't remember any ornament.
It looks like a refigerator handle from the 1950's. Good lookin' rig! Tacey

OK boys, I think we're ready for a new topic specific to the Handle on the Serf. Maybe we could call it: "what is it, where'd it come from, and what do you suppose they call it?". I'm sure we'll get lots of idea's and theories:) In any event, I'm almost positive that it increases the value by at least double...I'll start the E-bay bidding at around $700.